Subject: [CCAMP] Protocol Action: 'General Network Element Constraint Encoding for GMPLS Controlled Networks' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ccamp-general-constraint-encode-20.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 05:48:38 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'General Network Element Constraint Encoding for GMPLS Controlled
   Networks'
  (draft-ietf-ccamp-general-constraint-encode-20.txt) as Proposed
Standard

This document is the product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alia Atlas and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ccamp-general-constraint-encode/

Technical Summary

   Generalized Multiprotocol Label Switching can be used to control a
   wide variety of technologies. In some of these technologies, network
   elements and links may impose additional routing constraints such as
   asymmetric switch connectivity, non-local label assignment, and
   label range limitations on links.

   This document provides efficient, protocol-agnostic encodings for
   general information elements representing connectivity and label
   constraints as well as label availability. It is intended that
   protocol-specific documents will reference this memo to describe how
   information is carried for specific uses.

Working Group Summary

   This topic has been discussed in the WG for a very long time, perhaps
   6 years.  Support for the work has been tepid, but there are multiple
   sets of contributors who would like to see the work result in proposed
   standards. 

   This document was updated after detailed reviews by the document
   shepherd and responsible AD.

Document Quality

   This document provides background and an approach to extending
   exiting RFCs for which there are implementations, but does not
   itself define any protocol mechanisms.  The existing RFCs include
   RFC3471, RFC3473, RFC4202, RFC4203.  This work is based on
   RFC6163.

   A number of subsequent documents related to signalling and routing
   for Wavelength Switched Optical Networks (WSON) have dependencies
   on the generic mechanisms defined in this document.

Personnel

   Lou Berger is the document Shepherd.
   Adrian Farrel is the Responsible Area Director.