Subject: [CCAMP] Protocol Action: 'Signaling Extensions for Wavelength Switched Optical Networks' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ccamp-wson-signaling-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 14:34:06 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Signaling Extensions for Wavelength Switched Optical Networks'
  (draft-ietf-ccamp-wson-signaling-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alia Atlas, Deborah Brungard, and Alvaro Retana.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ccamp-wson-signaling/

Technical Summary

   This memo provides extensions to Generalized Multi-Protocol Label
   Switching (GMPLS) signaling for control of Wavelength Switched
   Optical Networks (WSON).  Such extensions are applicable in WSONs
   under a number of conditions including: (a) when optional
   processing, such as regeneration, must be configured to occur at
   specific nodes along a path, (b) where equipment must be configured
   to accept an optical signal with specific attributes, or (c) where
   equipment must be configured to output an optical signal with
   specific attributes. This document provides mechanisms to
   support distributed wavelength assignment with choice in distributed
   wavelength assignment algorithms.

Working Group Summary

  This topic been discussed in the WG for a very long time, perhaps 6
  years.  Support for the work has been tepid, but there are multiple
  sets of contributors who would like to see the work result in proposed
  standards. 

Document Quality

  The base GMPLS protocol has been implemented.  The extensions defined in
  this document are compatible with earlier implementations.  Multiple
  implementors have stated their intent to implement, or have stated that
  they have already implemented, the mechanisms defined in this document.

Personnel
 
  Lou Berger is the Document Shepherd
  Deborah Brungard is the Responsible Area Director

RFC Editor Note

  Please change Section 5 Security Considerations, second sentence:

OLD
   As such, this
   document introduces no new security considerations to the existing
   GMPLS signaling protocols.
NEW
   The specific additional information (optical resource and wavelength selection
   properties) is not viewed as substantively changing or adding to the security
   considerations of the existing  GMPLS signaling protocol mechanisms.

END OF CHANGE