Subject: Re: [CCAMP] FW: New Version Notification for draft-lee-ccamp-optical-impairment-topology-yang-01.txt

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2019 17:17:36 +0000

Young

I wonder who the target audience is for this I-D.  The absence of
Normative References might suggest that everyone will be able to
understand it; or perhaps not:-)

I note the impressive list of editors for the I-D; I wonder if they can
be put to work coming up with YANG reference clauses for the objects
defined herein e.g. Reed-Solomon and Hamming are fine for me but I need
some pointers for Golay or the for the difference between
 identity DP_QAM8 {description
      "DP-QAM8 (Dual Polarization Quadrature Amplitude Modulation)";
 and
 identity DC_DP_QAM8 {description
      "DC DP-QAM8 (Dual Polarization Quadrature Amplitude Modulation)";
different identities, same description.

I believe in a reference for every leaf, every identity, every typedef
unless there is clearly no need thereof.  And I think that the G.65x,
G.69x that you do mention will be Normative References, which, in turn,
gives a pointer to who is expected to be able to understand this I-D.
And I believe in having references ab initio, to clarify understanding,
not something to be added just prior to requesting publication.

And I note
'   that may be used in the interfaces colored in yellow in Figure 1.'

Mmm, I wonder how the RFC Editor will specify yellow lines.

So, I am left wondering does it belong in the IETF or is there a better
home for it, one, e.g., which can print its standards in colour (sorry,
color)?

There are some lines too long and some quirky spellings, but they can
wait.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leeyoung" <[email-masked]>
To: "'CCAMP'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 4:25 PM

> Hello CCAMPer's,
>
> As a follow-up from IETF 103 Bangkok meeting, many interested parties
have been working on impairment topology models for optical networks.
>
> We just wanted to bring the WG's attention on this effort. Your
comments will be very appreciated it.
>
> Thanks & Best regards,
> Young (on behalf of co-authors and contributors).
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 10:20 AM
[email-masked]>
> A new version of I-D,
draft-lee-ccamp-optical-impairment-topology-yang-01.txt
> has been successfully submitted by Young Lee and posted to the IETF
repository.
>
> Name: draft-lee-ccamp-optical-impairment-topology-yang
> Revision: 01
> Title: A Yang Data Model for Optical Impairment-aware Topology
> Document date: 2019-02-28
> Group: Individual Submission
> Pages: 36
> URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lee-ccamp-optical-impairment-
topology-yang-01.txt
> Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lee-ccamp-optical-impairment-topo
logy-yang/
> Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lee-ccamp-optical-impairment-topology-
yang-01
> Htmlized:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-lee-ccamp-optical-impairment
-topology-yang
> Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-lee-ccamp-optical-impairment-top
ology-yang-01
>
> Abstract:
>    In order to provision an optical connection through optical
>    networks, a combination of path continuity, resource availability,
>    and impairment constraints must be met to determine viable and
>    optimal paths through the network. The determination of appropriate
>    paths is known as Impairment-Aware Routing and Wavelength
Assignment
>    (IA-RWA) for WSON, while it is known as Impairment-Aware Routing
and
>    Spectrum Assigment (IA-RSA) for SSON.
>
>    This document provides a YANG data model for the impairment-aware
TE
>    topology in optical networks.
>
>
>

---

From: Leeyoung <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 04:07:38 +0000

Hi Tom,

Sorry for this late reply to your comment. As this was very initial draft, we did not have time to fix issues raised by you. We will address your comment in the next revision. 

Thanks.
Young

-----Original Message-----
From: tom petch [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 11:18 AM
To: Leeyoung <[email-masked]>; 'CCAMP' <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] FW: New Version Notification for draft-lee-ccamp-optical-impairment-topology-yang-01.txt

Young

I wonder who the target audience is for this I-D.  The absence of Normative References might suggest that everyone will be able to understand it; or perhaps not:-)

I note the impressive list of editors for the I-D; I wonder if they can be put to work coming up with YANG reference clauses for the objects defined herein e.g. Reed-Solomon and Hamming are fine for me but I need some pointers for Golay or the for the difference between  identity DP_QAM8 {description
      "DP-QAM8 (Dual Polarization Quadrature Amplitude Modulation)";  and  identity DC_DP_QAM8 {description
      "DC DP-QAM8 (Dual Polarization Quadrature Amplitude Modulation)"; different identities, same description.

I believe in a reference for every leaf, every identity, every typedef unless there is clearly no need thereof.  And I think that the G.65x, G.69x that you do mention will be Normative References, which, in turn, gives a pointer to who is expected to be able to understand this I-D.
And I believe in having references ab initio, to clarify understanding, not something to be added just prior to requesting publication.

And I note

So, I am left wondering does it belong in the IETF or is there a better home for it, one, e.g., which can print its standards in colour (sorry, color)?

There are some lines too long and some quirky spellings, but they can wait.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leeyoung" <[email-masked]>
To: "'CCAMP'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 4:25 PM

[email-masked]>
repository.
Assignment
and
TE