Subject: [CDNi] CDNI Use Cases

From: Grant Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 21:56:21 +0000

Ben & Francois et al,

CDN Interconnect is a very hot topic for us right now and we are very keen to support your proposal. 

We have been working on a I-D to document provider use cases, to compliment your I-D. Hopefully you will find this to be a useful exercise. 

It is not complete but I wanted to socialise it early as we are keen and open to collaborate on this I-D with other providers that have use cases to that they would like to include, or input in any other way.

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-watson-cdni-use-cases-00.txt

Thanks

Grant Watson
[email-masked]

---

From: Francois Le Faucheur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 14:53:34 +0100

Hello Grant,

> We have been working on a I-D to document provider use cases, to compliment your I-D. Hopefully you will find this to be a useful exercise. 

Most definitely.

> It is not complete but I wanted to socialise it early as we are keen and open to collaborate on this I-D with other providers that have use cases to that they would like to include, or input in any…

We know of at least one other provider that was also working on a Use Case I-D. I expect they will approach you very shortly.
Thanks for leading the charge.

Francois 

> _______________________________________________
> CDNi mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cdni

---

From: Thomas Parmelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:30:31 +0100

On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 09:56:21PM +0000,
Grant Watson <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hello Grant et al,

> We have been working on a I-D to document provider use cases, to
> compliment your I-D. Hopefully you will find this to be a useful
> exercise. 

Just a quick word to let you know that CDNi is a hot subject for us too
and that we plan to go through the proposed documents and hopefully
provide comments or suggestions.

-- 
Thomas Parmelan  -+-  [email-masked]

---

From: Thomas Parmelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:17:41 +0100

Hello Grant,

> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-watson-cdni-use-cases-00.txt

The following use case is technically covered by the Use Cases in
section 4 (for 2 CDNs/ISPs) and section 5 (for N CDNs/ISPs), but I think
it is interesting to outline it separately:

There is a strong use case for a national CDN federation which would
interconnect CDNs operated by the local ISPs within that territory.

Some local CSPs offer some content that is sometimes extremely popular
within their country and needs to be delivered to a high proportion of
End Users in that country regardless of their ISPs.  This may be because
of language-related, cultural or other reasons.

A national CDN federation will allow both ISPs and CSPs to reduce their
bandwidth and infrastructure needs (and costs), as well as providing End
Users with a better experience due to the real proximity with their own
ISP's CDN surrogates.

Would you be willing to add a subsection on that use case within your
draft?  Let me know if you'd like me to suggest specific additional
text.

Regards,
Tom

---

From: Grant Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 19:36:54 +0000

Hi Thomas,

> draft?  Let me know if you'd like me to suggest specific additional

As you say; I think the case is covered from a technical standpoint. However if there is sufficient justification for another use-case so this scenario can be captured in isolation I don't have a problem with that. The next revision is likely to be uplifted significantly so will look to capture as a separate scenario. 

Cheers.