Subject: [CDNi] Definitions for "Recursive/Iterative CDNI request routing"

From: Francois Le Faucheur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 20:01:09 +0200

Folks,

The definitions for the terms of "Recursive/Iterative CDNI request routing" had been included in the cdni-requirements document until they move to a more suitable place.
Could you guys agree on which document these definitions should migrate into (problem-statement or framework) and keep a mental note to include it there in the next rev?

Thanks

Francois

PS: Here is the relevant excerpt from cdni-framework:

"
  This also defined the following additional terms [Editor's Note:
   these definitions may be better located in another document such as
   the Problem Statement]:

   o  Recursive CDNI request routing: When an Upstream CDN elects to
      redirect a request towards a Downstream CDN, the Upstream CDN can
      query the Downstream CDN Request Routing system via the CDNI
      Request Routing protocol (or use information cached from earlier
      similar queries) to find out how the Downstream CDN wants the
      request to be redirected, which allows the Upstream CDN to factor
      in the Downstream CDN response when redirecting the user agent.
      This approach is referred to as "recursive" CDNI request routing.
      Note that the Downstream CDN may elect to have the request
      redirected directly to a Surrogate inside the Downstream CDN, to
      the Request-Routing System of the Downstream CDN, to another CDN,
      or to any other system that the Downstream CDN sees as fit for
      handling the redirected request.

   o  Iterative CDNI Request Routing: When an Upstream CDN elects to
      redirect a request towards a Downstream CDN, the Upstream CDN can
      base its redirection purely on a local decision (and without
      attempting to take into account how the Downstream CDN may in turn
      redirect the user agent).  In that case, the Upstream CDN
      redirects the request to the request routing system in the
      Downstream CDN, which in turn will decide how to redirect that
      request: this approach is referred to as "iterative" CDNI request
      routing.
"

Francois

---

From: Francois Le Faucheur <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 15:36:20 -0400

Hi,
Any thoughts on that before the WG meeting?
Francois

>      request: this approach is referred to as "iterative" CDNI request

Francois Le Faucheur
Distinguished Engineer
Corporate Development
[email-masked]
Phone: +33 49 723 2619
Mobile: +33 6 19 98 50 90

Cisco Systems France
Greenside
400 Ave de Roumanille
06410 Sophia Antipolis
France
Cisco.com

 Think before you print.

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.

Cisco Systems France, Société à responsabiité limitée, Rue Camille Desmoulins – Imm Atlantis Zac Forum Seine Ilot 7 92130 Issy les Moulineaux, Au capital de 91.470 €, 349 166 561 RCS Nanterre, Directeur de la publication: Jean-Luc Michel Givone.

For corporate legal information go to:
http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/index.html

---

From: zhouzhipeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:09:11 +0800

May somebody provide use cases to help more understand on these two specific
terms.

Zhipeng

发件人: Francois Le Faucheur [mailto:[email-masked]] 
发送时间: 2011年7月27日 3:36
收件人: Niven-Jenkins Ben; Nabil N Bitar; Bruce Davie; Larry Peterson
抄送: [email-masked]
主题: Re: [CDNi] Definitions for "Recursive/Iterative CDNI request routing"

Hi,

Francois

Folks,

The definitions for the terms of "Recursive/Iterative CDNI request routing"
had been included in the cdni-requirements document until they move to a
more suitable place.
Could you guys agree on which document these definitions should migrate into
(problem-statement or framework) and keep a mental note to include it there
in the next rev?

Thanks

Francois

"

Francois

Francois Le Faucheur
Distinguished Engineer
Corporate Development
 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]
Phone: +33 49 723 2619
Mobile: +33 6 19 98 50 90

Cisco Systems France
Greenside
400 Ave de Roumanille
06410 Sophia Antipolis
France
 <http://www.cisco.com> Cisco.com

 Think before you print.

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by
others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply
email and delete all copies of this message.

Cisco Systems France, Société à responsabiité limitée, Rue Camille
Desmoulins – Imm Atlantis Zac Forum Seine Ilot 7 92130 Issy les Moulineaux,
Au capital de 91.470 �, 349 166 561 RCS Nanterre, Directeur de la
publication: Jean-Luc Michel Givone.

---

From: "Bitar, Nabil N" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:53:38 -0400

Hi,
I think that the framework or problem statement document is more appropriate than the requirements document. The framework document now refers to terminology and definitions in the problem statement document, so it could be there. However, I think sit is better fit in he framework document.

Thanks,
Nabil

From: Francois Le Faucheur <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 15:36:20 -0400
To: Niven-Jenkins Ben <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "Bitar, Nabil N" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, Bruce Davie <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, Larry Peterson <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, Le Faucheur Francois <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: Re: Definitions for "Recursive/Iterative CDNI request routing"

Hi,

Folks,

Thanks

Francois

"

Francois

Francois Le Faucheur
Distinguished Engineer
Corporate Development
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Phone: +33 49 723 2619
Mobile: +33 6 19 98 50 90

Cisco Systems France
Greenside
400 Ave de Roumanille
06410 Sophia Antipolis
France
Cisco.com<http://www.cisco.com>

 Think before you print.