Subject: [CDNi] Document Action: 'Content Distribution Network Interconnection (CDNI) Requirements' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-cdni-requirements-17.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 13:00:05 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Content Distribution Network Interconnection (CDNI) Requirements'
  (draft-ietf-cdni-requirements-17.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Content Delivery Networks
Interconnection Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Spencer Dawkins and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cdni-requirements/

Technical Summary

Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) are frequently used for content 
delivery.  As a result of significant growth in content delivered over 
IP networks, existing CDN providers are scaling up their infrastructure.  
Many Network Service Providers and Enterprise Service Providers are also 
deploying their own CDNs.  To deliver contents from the Content Service 
Protect (CSP) to end users, the contents may traverse across multiple 
CDNs.  This creates a need for interconnecting (previously) standalone 
CDNs so that they can collectively act as a single delivery platform 
from the CSP to the end users. 

The goal of the present document is to outline the requirements for the 
solution and interfaces to be specified by the CDNI working group.

Working Group Summary

The only major controversy was regarding when the requirements draft 
should be completed.  Some argued the requirements draft should be the 
last document completed in the working group, so that any requirements 
"discovered" during the development of other RFCs could be added later.  
Others argued that we should finish this and publish it, so we can 
reference it in solutions drafts, do not have scope creep and stray far 
from the original consensus of the working group.  The latter won out.

Document Quality

Besides incremental reviews and revisions through working group 
discussions, both of the chairs did a thorough review of the draft 
during WGLC.  These reviews resulted in a number of revisions.  This 
requirements draft is being referenced frequently and leveraged for the 
CDNI solutions drafts.

Personnel

Daryl Malas is the Document Shepherd.  The Area Director for this 
working group is Spencer Dawkins.