Subject: [Cellar] New thread: Work to be done on FLAC, call for volunteers

From: Tessa Fallon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 11:34:15 -0400

In an effort to be more co-chairperson-like:

Moving this from previous thread:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/cellar/NW8nx-cgwYvaQexUxD3d7_YxEDk

If you're interested in working on FLAC, please respond to this thread.  If
you're interested in possibly/maybe/no commitment spearheading the work on
FLAC (helping keep work on task, meeting deadlines, possible document
shepherding), please say so as well.

Is there an outline of the markdown to rfc process that is easily
accessible for others?

>From Dave Rice's email:

If you'd like to contribute I suggest this as first steps:

   - Should check with FLAC community whether it's preferable to work in
   https://github.com/xiph/flac or possibly start a new repo such as
   https://github.com/xiph/flac-specification
   <https://github.com/xiph/flac-specification> so that the specification
   work can be separated into a more specific repository.
   - Re-format existing document: The existing FLAC spec is in html at
   https://github.com/xiph/flac/blob/master/doc/html/format.html
   <https://github.com/xiph/flac/blob/master/doc/html/format.html> which is
   rendered at https://xiph.org/flac/format.html. With both FFV1, EBML, and
   Matroska we first re-formatted the existing specifications from their
   original state to markdown (FFV1 was lyx to markdown, EBML and Matroska
   were HTML to markdown). We have a markdown to rfc process working in the
   other repos of the working group and the approach could be copied to FLAC.
   - Produce a Makefile to render the flac spec markdown into rfc form as
   well as whatever other formats that the community needs. See the version
   for FFV1 <https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFV1/blob/master/Makefile> and EBML
   <https://github.com/Matroska-Org/ebml-specification/blob/master/Makefile>
   .
   - Once the FLAC spec is in markdown, it could likely use a review and
   update of RFC2119 terminology and new needed sections for an RFC such as an
   Abstract and Security Considerations.

---

From: John Warburton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 17:41:05 +0100

​
On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Tessa Fallon <[email-masked]>
 wrote:

> If you're interested in working on FLAC, please respond to this thread.
> If you're interested in possibly/maybe/no commitment spearheading the work
> on FLAC (helping keep work on task, meeting deadlines, possible document

>
>    - ​....
>
>
>
>    - ​
>    Re-format existing document: The existing FLAC spec is in html at
>    <https://github.com/xiph/flac/blob/master/doc/html/format.html> which
>    is rendered at https://xiph.org/flac/format.html. With both FFV1,
>    EBML, and Matroska we first re-formatted the existing specifications from
>    their original state to markdown (FFV1 was lyx to markdown, EBML and
>    Matroska were HTML to markdown). We have a markdown to rfc process working
>    in the other repos of the working group and the approach could be copied to
>    FLAC.
>    - ​...​
>
>
> If I can help...? I maintain a binary distribution, compiled from
development source, of the FLAC library and many other multimedia utilities
(Windows 10, 64-bit only) mainly for our own use here; and am a Tonmeister
graduate, about to begin teaching part-time in the same department at
Surrey University. Document editing, I can certainly do. Is it a once-only
conversion, or would you like me to keep an eye on changes? I update my Git
tree from all sources approximately once a day.

John Warburton

---

From: Reto Kromer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 20:15:27 +0200

>If you're interested in working on FLAC, please respond to

I'm more than interested in the FLAC standardisation, and
would like to contribute, yet I have to admit that I really
hate markdown.

Best regards from Reto

---

From: Dave Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 14:24:31 -0400

> On Sep 21, 2016, at 2:15 PM, Reto Kromer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Tessa Fallon wrote:
> 

I think Markdown was initially suggested to encourage more volunteers in the FFV1 specification, which prior to using markdown was in lyx. IMHO markdown was an easier choice to work with than lyx. Currently the FLAC format documentation is in HTML so I suppose it's feasible to work on it in HTML but at some point we'll need to discover a way to convert the HTML to RFC. Or I suppose FLAC work could be done in another intermediate format. Suggestions?
Dave