Subject: Re: [Cellar] New thread: Work to be done on FLAC, call for volunteers

From: Reto Kromer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 21:01:53 +0200

Dave Rice wrote:

>I think Markdown was initially suggested to encourage more
>volunteers in the FFV1 specification, which prior to using
>markdown was in lyx. IMHO markdown was an easier choice to
>work with than lyx.

Indeed! If this kind is chosen, then I would suggest LaTeX
instead of LyX, because it's more widely known, I guess.

>Currently the FLAC format documentation
>is in HTML so I suppose it's feasible to work on it in HTML
>but at some point we'll need to discover a way to convert
>the HTML to RFC. Or I suppose FLAC work could be done in
>another intermediate format. Suggestions?

I never used "xml2rfc", but this seems to exist. The current
HTML5 can be processed by any XML tool (after serialising
where needed).

Hope this helps! Reto

---

From: Jerome Martinez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 21:14:31 +0200

> instead of LyX, because it's more widely known, I guess.

as a volunteer but maybe not the main one, I suggest to use the nowadays 
de facto standard for the Markup language.
I understand that some people may "hate" it (can we really hate a markup 
"language"?) but I argue that this is the language used by Wikipedia, 
that we have direct display in e.g. GitHub (e.g. FFV1 specs 
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFV1/blob/master/ffv1.md ), that there is a 
standardization effort of Markdown (including IETF RFC 7764), and that 
LaTeX is known by less people than Markdown.

---

From: Michael Niedermayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 21:56:06 +0200

> instead of LyX, because it's more widely known, I guess.

lyx syntax / language knowledge isnt needed to use lyx.
lyx has a nice GUI editor which is what i used for IIRC 100% of the
spec before markdown

The real disadvanatge of lyx was that when multiple people try to
work on a spec and review changes on git backed .lyx files things
get somewhat messy if one tries to work with high level tools like the
lyx GUI editor ...
OTOH lyx works much better and reproduceable to get the formatting
one wants, markdown is less predictable with different tools and
versions

If i would start writing a new spec, then id choose lyx if i expect
that i wouldnt need to collaborate with others and markdown or some
other "easy hand editable in a texteditor" format if
collaboration between multiple people is expected

[...]

-- 
Michael     GnuPG fingerprint: 9FF2128B147EF6730BADF133611EC787040B0FAB

If you think the mosad wants you dead since a long time then you are either
wrong or dead since a long time.