Subject: [Cellar] MKVToolNix v23.0.0 released

From: Moritz Bunkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2018 18:54:52 +0200

Hey.

MKVToolNix v23.0.0 is out containing a moderate number of enhancements
and bug fixes.

About AV1 support: even though the previous release was the first to
support AV1, keep in mind that neither the bitstream format nor the
method of storage in MP4, WebM and Matroska has been finalized
yet. I've therefore decided to disable AV1 support by default. You
have to enable it manually by passing `--engage enable_av1` to
mkvmerge. mkvmerge can still identify AV1 without that option, but
it'll refuse to multiplex it.

Note further that only supported bitstream format is the one that was
active on 2018-05-02.

To my users on Debian and Ubuntu: the layout of my APT repositories
was changed in April. You'll have to update your `sources.list` entry
accordingly. Read more about that in this blog post:

https://www.bunkus.org/blog/2018/04/debian-ubuntu-apt-repository-changes/

Here are the usual links:

…to the source code: https://mkvtoolnix.download/source.html
…to the binaries: https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html

The Windows and macOS binaries are available already. The Linux
binaries are still being built and will be available of the course of
the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

------------------------------------------------------------
# Version 23.0.0 "The Bride Said No" 2018-05-02

## New features and enhancements

* mkvmerge: input: format detection uses file-extension to improve performance
  and to give preference when several formats match.
* mkvmerge: AV1: added support for reading AV1 video from Open Bitstream Unit
  files.
* mkvmerge: AV1: adjusted the code for the AV1 bitstream format changes made
  up to 2018-05-02 (git revision d14e878).
* mkvmerge: MP4 reader: if a track has an edit list with two identical
  entries, each spanning the file's duration as given in the movie header
  atom, then the second entry will now be ignored. Improves the handling of
  files with bogus data; see #2196 and #2270.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: added options to only enable tracks of certain
  types by default. Implements #2271.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: added an option to enable dialog normalization
  gain removal by default for all audio tracks for which the operation is
  supported. Implements #2272.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when deriving track languages from the file
  names is active and the file name contains the usual season/episode pattern
  (e.g. "S02E14"), then only the part after the season/episode pattern will be
  used for detecting the language. Part of the improvements for #2267.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the regular expression used for deriving track
  languages from the file names can now be customized in the preferences. Part
  of the improvements for #2267.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the user can now customize the list of track
  languages the GUI recognizes in file names. This list defaults to a handful
  of common languages instead of the full list of supported languages. Part of
  the improvements for #2267.

## Bug fixes

* mkvmerge: MP3 packetizer: removed a memory leak growing linearly with the
  track's size.
* mkvmerge: VobSub packetizer: whenever a VobSub packet doesn't contain a
  duration on the container level, mkvmerge will now set it from the duration
  in the SPU packets. Before it was accidentally setting the SPU-level
  duration to 0 instead. Fixes #2260.
* mkvmerge: track statistics tags: if writing the `Date` element is
  deactivated via `--no-date`, the `_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC` isn't
  written either anymore. Fixes #2286.
* mkvmerge, mkvextract, mkvpropedit: removed several small, constant-size
  memory leaks.
* mkvextract: fixed a crash when mkvextract with a non-Matroska file as the
  source file. Fixes #2281.
* MKVToolNix GUI: the central area is now scrollable, allowing the GUI to be
  resized to almost arbitrary sizes. Fixes #2265.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the "copy file title to destination file name"
  functionality will now replace everything in the destination file name up to
  the last period instead of only up to the first period. Fixes #2276.

## Build system changes

* build system: MKVToolNix now requires a compiler that supports the following
  features of the C++14 standard: "user-defined literals for
  `std::string`". For the GNU Compiler Collection (gcc) this means v5.x or
  newer; for clang it means v3.4 or newer.
* Windows: linking against and installing shared version of the libraries with
  MXE is now supported by setting `configure`'s `host` triplet accordingly,
  e.g. `--host=x86_64-w64-mingw32.shared`.

## Other changes

* mkvmerge: AV1: support for AV1 must be activated manually by adding
  `--engage enable_av1` as the AV1 bitstream specification hasn't been
  finalized yet.
------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun :)

mosu