Subject: [Cellar] Special agenda items for our 25 January meeting?

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 08:53:33 -0600

Dear Cellar folk,

Our next meeting (first of 2022) is 25 January, at the usual time.

Michael and I want to get our year off to a great start, so we're asking
for special agenda items sooner than usual.

Is there anything that we need to talk about, beyond our usual agenda items
on working group documents?

Best,

Spencer

---

From: Martijn van Beurden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 22:29:03 +0100

Hi,

This is a question that is not necessarily something that has to be added
to the agenda for the next meeting, as I think the subject is something
that might be better discussed by email, but here it is anyway.

Recently I've been wondering what the target audience is of the CELLAR
drafts/RFCs, and what would be expected to be 'common knowledge'. There is
a PR for the FLAC specification containing a few examples with quite a
verbose step-by-step explanation as to how decoding FLAC streams works and
a PR adding numerical considerations: what data type to use in what part of
the decoder as to be sure integer overflow cannot happen. Both are
superfluous when the specification is read by someone already familiar with
the basic concepts of codec programming, but I feel they might be very
handy for a reader that hasn't done anything similar professionally.
However, from the limited number of RFC's I've glanced over, adding such
things seems uncommon in RFCs.

So, my question or discussion item here is: what should I expect from an
RFC reader, and what content should be considered superfluous?

Kind regards, Martijn van Beurden

Op za 15 jan. 2022 om 15:54 schreef Spencer Dawkins at IETF <
[email-masked]>:

> Is there anything that we need to talk about, beyond our usual agenda
> items on working group documents?
>
> Best,
>
> Spencer
> _______________________________________________
> Cellar mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cellar
>