Subject: [certid] chapter 4.4.5 ...

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 19:33:46 +0200

says

    the client MAY as a fallback
    check for a fully-qualified DNS domain name in the last Common Name
    RDN in the sequence of RDNs making up the Distinguished Name within
    the certificate's subjectName (where the term "last" refers to the
    DER order, which is often not the string order presented to a user;
    the order that is applied here MUST be the DER order).

The text in parenthesis 'refers to the order of the ASN.1 sequence'
the last half sentence is superfluous.

'Common Name RDN' is not the correct term (as already explained
by many).

The text 'In existing certficates ..' stars with a defintion which
should rather belong to 2.2. A clear separation of 2.2 and 4.4
should be done.

There is also redundancy with 4.3 and 4.4.4  In one it is
a security note, the other is not. at least the same things are
said (at least) twice.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 13:21:42 -0600

> the last half sentence is superfluous.

Agreed. I've deleted that text so that we discuss ordering issues only
in the section about subject naming.

> 'Common Name RDN' is not the correct term (as already explained

Changed to CN-ID so that we reference the definition provided earlier in
the document.

> should rather belong to 2.2. A clear separation of 2.2 and 4.4

Done.

> a security note, the other is not. at least the same things are

That repetition was intentional.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/