Subject: Re: [Cfrg] draft-housley-ccm-mode-00.txt

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 17:23:59 +1200 (NZST)

[email-masked] (David Wagner) writes:
>Peter Gutmann wrote:
>>If it's truly unencumbered, I'd like to see this as standards-track.
>
>Can you elaborate?  What advantages do you see for CCM over the standard
>encrypt-then-authenticate generic composition of AES-CBC encryption and AES-
>CBC-MAC (suitably modified to be secure for variable-length messages)?  The
>latter is unencumbered and has the same performance characteristics as CCM.

I was thinking more of OCB and its assorted ancestors and relatives (with
accompanying extended family of patents).  I'd be happy with any unencumbered,
reasonably clean encrypt+MAC combo (note that's encrypt+MAC, not encrypt-then-
MAC), Russ just happened to get there first with his CCM draft.

Peter.

_______________________________________________
Cfrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg