Subject: [Cfrg] (no subject)

From: Ted Krovetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:40:48 -0800

Hello,

A revised UMAC Internet-Draft is now available.

   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-krovetz-umac-07.txt

The primary change is in key-derivation, which now uses a simple  
counter mode for which it is easy to verify that there are no  
redundant AES inputs. Although the old version was secure (and  
provably so), questions about it included references to "Occam's  
Razor" and referred to it as "wacky". We took that as a cue that  
people didn't care for its design, and so made this revision.

I would like to point out that the UMAC algorithm has not changed,  
just how internal key material is generated.

Two other changes in this draft are included: revised test-vectors to  
reflect the algorithmic change and some small text edits to improve  
clarity.

Thank you,
Ted Krovetz

_______________________________________________
Cfrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg

---

From: David McGrew <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 03:58:49 -0800

Ted,

thanks for the updated version.

Others,

we need to have the review completed in the next week, in order to  
ensure that the draft can be represented at the next IESG meeting.   
If you have comments, please provide them by Monday, November 21.

David

On Nov 13, 2005, at 8:40 PM, Ted Krovetz wrote:

> Two other changes in this draft are included: revised test-vectors  
> to reflect the algorithmic change and some small text edits to  
> improve clarity.
>
> Thank you,
> Ted Krovetz
>