Subject: [Cfrg] Document Action: 'UMAC: Message Authentication Code using Universal Hashing' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:05:35 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'UMAC: Message Authentication Code using Universal Hashing '
    <draft-krovetz-umac-07.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-krovetz-umac-07.txt

Technical Summary

   This specification describes how to generate an authentication tag
   using the UMAC message authentication algorithm.  UMAC is designed to
   be very fast to compute in software on contemporary uniprocessors.
   Measured speeds are as low as one cycle per byte.  UMAC relies on
   addition of 32-bit and 64-bit numbers and multiplication of 32-bit
   numbers; all of these operations are well-supported by contemporary
   computers.

Working Group Summary

   This document is not affiliated with any working group; however, the
   document received considerable review and comment on the CFRG mailing
   list.  The document was updated to reflect the discussion.

Protocol Quality

   At least one implementation exists.
   See http://www.cs.ucdavis.edu/~rogaway/umac/.

Note to RFC Editor

   Please replace the first paragraph of the Introduction as follows:

   OLD:

    UMAC is a message authentication algorithm (MAC) designed for high
    performance.  It it backed by a rigorous formal analysis and there
    are no intellectual property claims made to any ideas used in its
    design.

   NEW:

    UMAC is a message authentication algorithm (MAC) designed for high
    performance.  It is backed by a rigorous formal analysis and there
    are no intellectual property claims made by any of the authors to
    any ideas used in its design.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

_______________________________________________
Cfrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg