Subject: [Cfrg] Fwd: Last Call: draft-mcgrew-auth-enc (An Interface and Algorithms for Authenticated Encryption) to Proposed Standard

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 13:29:50 -0700

>The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
>the following document:
>
>- 'An Interface and Algorithms for Authenticated Encryption '
>    <draft-mcgrew-auth-enc-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard
>
>The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
>[email-masked] mailing lists by 2007-06-28. Exceptionally,
>comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please
>retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
>The file can be obtained via
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mcgrew-auth-enc-02.txt
>
>
>IESG discussion can be tracked via
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=15090&rfc_flag=0

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

_______________________________________________
Cfrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 14:44:09 +1200

>The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
>comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
>[email-masked] mailing lists by 2007-06-28.

What's the point of the registry?  SSL will define its own cipher suites for
this, S/MIME will need ASN.1 OIDs, PGP will use PGP algorithm IDs, and so on.
What purpose does having a registry serve, apart from providing one more layer
of paperwork for algorithm designers?

Specifically, the current practice has been to publish some anchor RFC "The
XYZ Algorithm", and then anyone who wants it either adds it to their main
crypto-protocol RFC or tacks it on with "Use of the XYZ Algorithm in
<protocol- name>" to provide the protocol-specific binding.  What extra
features does the registry provide?.

(I have no objections to it being published, I'm just curious as to what
demand the registry is supposed to meet).

Peter.