Subject: [Cfrg] NIST Issues Call for a New Hash Algorithm

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 12:09:36 -0500

NIST has opened a public competition to develop a new cryptographic hash
algorithm, which converts a variable length message into a short “message
digest” that can be used for digital signatures, message authentication
and other applications. The competition is NIST’s response to recent
advances in the cryptanalysis of hash functions. The new hash algorithm
will be called “SHA-3” and will augment the hash algorithms currently
specified in FIPS 180-2, Secure Hash Standard.

The competition has been announced in the attached Federal Register
Notice

(SHA-3_FR_Notice_Nov02_2007.pdf); a more readably formatted
version is

provided in SHA-3_FR_Notice_Nov02_2007 - more readable
version.pdf.

Entries for the competition must be received by October 31,
2008.

Further details of the competition are available at <

http://www.nist.gov/hash-competition >.

Regards,

Shu-jen Chang

_______________________________________________
Cfrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg