Subject: [Cfrg] OMB Circular A-119

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 13:28:36 -0500

This is all quotation from a newsletter on consortia generally.
I've no time today and since the fuse is short, I am just forwarding
it here and now.  De-html-ized using /usr/local/bin/lynx.

-----------------8<------------cut-here------------8<-----------------

   Recently, the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) proposed
   changes to the rules that govern not only participation by agency
   personnel in standards development, but also all procurement by
   government agencies as well. These changes are far-ranging, and some
   could have a significant negative impact on consortium-developed
   standards unless the proposed changes are modified.  Public comments
   will be accepted through May 14.

   The American National Standards Institute (ANSI), coordinator of the
   U.S. standardization system, will be holding a Webinar on March 6 that
   will ouline the proposed amendments. The Webinar is free, but space is
   limited and advance registration is required, and I am forwarding that
   invitation to you below.

   Further engagement and information on these issues are available to
   ANSI members, and I will be circulating additional information, as well
   as proposed comments, to interested organizations (and OMB) as well.
   Please contact me if you would like to participate in those comments.

   Here is the Webinar invitation:

   Dear colleagues,

   On March 6, ANSI will host a webinar about the proposed revisions to
   Office of Management and Budget (OMB) [1]Circular A-119, "Federal
   Participation in the Development and Use of Voluntary Consensus
   Standards and in Conformity Assessment Activities."

   Thursday, March 6, 2014
   2 to 3:45 pm Eastern
   [2]Register here

   The webinar will focus on a number of topics, including voluntary
   consensus standards and voluntary non-consensus standards, SDO process
   issues, IPR and incorporation by reference, conformity assessment, and
   agency-related issues. Several guest facilitators from the
   standardization community - both public and private sectors - will join
   us for the dialogue.

   Due to the anticipated level of interest in this webinar, please
   register in advance. Participation will be listen-only, but there will
   be an opportunity to pose questions to the facilitators via chat.

   By way of background, earlier this month, OMB posted a Federal Register
   [3]notice inviting public comment on the revised circular. ANSI will
   develop a consensus response on behalf of the standardization
   community, and we are asking stakeholders to submit any input on the
   revision to [4][email-masked] by Friday, March 21. We also encourage
   individual companies and organizations to submit their own comments in
   direct response to the notice. Please note that final responses must be
   submitted to the Federal Register by May 12, 2014.

   If you have any questions or concerns about this issue, please feel
   free to reach out to me at any time.

   Thank you very much for your attention.

   Best regards,
   Liz Neiman

     __________________________________________________________________

References

   1. http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/circulars_a119/
   2. https://goansi.webex.com/mw0401l/mywebex/default.do?nomenu=true&siteurl=goansi&service=6&rnd=0.14018919824110876&main_url=https%3A%2F%2Fgoansi.webex.com%2Fec0701l%2Feventcenter%2Fevent%2FeventAction.do%3FtheAction%3Ddetail%26confViewID%3D1559627649%26%26%26%26siteurl%3Dgoansi
   3. https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2014/02/11/2014-02891/request-for-comments-on-a-proposed-revision-of-omb-circular-no-a-119-federal-participation-in-the
   4. mailto:[email-masked]