Subject: [Cfrg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-cfrg-gcmsiv-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 08:28:26 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Crypto Forum of the IETF.

        Title           : AES-GCM-SIV: Nonce Misuse-Resistant Authenticated Encryption
        Authors         : Shay Gueron
                          Adam Langley
                          Yehuda Lindell
	Filename        : draft-irtf-cfrg-gcmsiv-04.txt
	Pages           : 46
	Date            : 2017-02-23

Abstract:
   This memo specifies two authenticated encryption algorithms that are
   nonce misuse-resistant - that is that they do not fail
   catastrophically if a nonce is repeated.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-cfrg-gcmsiv/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-cfrg-gcmsiv-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-cfrg-gcmsiv-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Adam Langley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 08:32:12 -0800

>         Filename        : draft-irtf-cfrg-gcmsiv-04.txt

Dear all,

Revision 04 of the AES-GCM-SIV draft
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-cfrg-gcmsiv-04) has just been
published. This contains only tidy-ups from revision 03—no substantive
changes have been made.

Most importantly, it now references a paper
(https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/168) by Shay and Yehuda in which they
give precise security bounds for AES-GCM-SIV. Specifically I'd like to
highlight to the group theorem six (which gives those bounds) and
section 5.3 (which gives concrete values of those bounds at a number
of locations in the configuration space).

In light of previous discussions in the working group, section seven
includes some remarks about the meaning of nonce-misuse resistance.

(Comments about the paper, including sightings of typos, are welcome
to be sent to us directly; no need to clutter this list with them.)

Cheers

AGL

---

From: "Paterson, Kenny" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 00:06:59 +0000

Dear Adam, 

Thank you to you, Shay and Yehuda for putting this paper together and for
updating the draft.

I think Section 7 of the paper is particularly helpful, and I would like
to direct people there for a good discussion of nonce misuse resistance
and an explanation of what this scheme achieves.

Regards,

Kenny 

On 23/02/2017 16:32, "Cfrg on behalf of Adam Langley"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>Cfrg mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg

---

From: "David McGrew (mcgrew)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 12:40:49 +0000

Hi Adam,

One quick comment: the draft doesn’t request that IANA create registry entries for the algos that it defines (as per https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5116#section-6); we surely want to include them in the registry.

best

David

p.s. - a nit that I noticed in the Ack section: Mosna&#269;ek

---

From: Adam Langley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 11:57:23 -0800

> One quick comment: the draft doesn’t request that IANA create registry entries for the algos that it defines (as per https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5116#section-6); we surely want to include them i…

Good point, thanks. The next version will include this.

> p.s. - a nit that I noticed in the Ack section: Mosna&#269;ek

Yes, it appears that the IETF processing doesn't handle UTF-8 :( I've
hammered that name into ASCII, I hope Ondrej doesn't mind.

Cheers

AGL

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 12:46:54 +1100

On 25 February 2017 at 06:57, Adam Langley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Yes, it appears that the IETF processing doesn't handle UTF-8 :(

Yet... https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7997 is on a slow path to being
usable.  Maybe this time next year if we're all very good and eat our
greens.