Subject: [Cfrg] Review of draft-irtf-cfrg-argon2-03

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 12:51:06 -0400

ocument: draft-irtf-cfrg-argon2-03
Reviewer: Russ Housley
Review Date: 2018-07-06

The CFRG Chairs asked me to see if my comments on -02 were addressed.
Most of my comments were resolved.  See below.

Summary: Almost Ready

Major Concerns:

> Section 3.5: This section defines the compression function G.  It makes
> use of the BLAKE2b round function P, which is explained in Section 3.6.
> Section 3.6 defines another function G, which is different than the 
> compression function.  I realize that both G functions are discussed in
> other documents ([I-D.saarinen-blake2] and [ARGON2]), but there ought to
> be a way to avoid this name collision.

I did not see any changes to address this comment.

> Section 5: I tried to compile the code, and it does not work with gcc.
> Is there a missing include file?

The missing header file was provided.  However, the most obvious way of
putting these pieces together does not work.  First, if one puts all of
the files in one directory, they will not compile.  Second, if one puts
the blake2-related files in a subdirectory, the process gets further,
but there are still some errors.  I stopped investigating at this point.
I suspect specific compiler options are needed.  Please add some
instruction at the front of Section 5.

Nits:

> Section 1: s/implementer oriented/implementer-oriented/

This still needs to be corrected.

> Most of the document uses "=" for assignment, but Section 3.6 uses "<-".
> Please use "=" throughout.

Section 3.5 uses "->" and "<-".  Section 2 does not help me understand the
meaning.  If it is simply assignment, please use "=".

New Nit:

Section 9.2: s/[BZ17] also prove the/[BZ17] also proves the/

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 18:01:38 +0100

Hi Russ,

> I did not see any changes to address this comment.
I think G was changed to GB it 3.6, so it was addressed.