Subject: [Cfrg] RFC 8645 on Re-keying Mechanisms for Symmetric Keys

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 10:13:57 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8645

        Title:      Re-keying Mechanisms for Symmetric Keys 
        Author:     S. Smyshlyaev, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       August 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      69
        Characters: 141580
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-cfrg-re-keying-17.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8645

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8645

A certain maximum amount of data can be safely encrypted when
encryption is performed under a single key.  This amount is called
the "key lifetime".  This specification describes a variety of
methods for increasing the lifetime of symmetric keys.  It provides
two types of re-keying mechanisms based on hash functions and block
ciphers that can be used with modes of operations such as CTR, GCM,
CBC, CFB, and OMAC.

This document is a product of the Crypto Forum Research Group (CFRG)
in the IRTF.

This document is a product of the Crypto Forum Research Group of the IRTF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce, rfc-dist and IRTF-Announce lists.To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
  https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC