Subject: [CGA-EXT] Docomo USL SEND Distribution

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 09:26:52 -0700

Docomo Labs USA has been distributing an open source implementation of SEND 
for several years. Unfortunately, we no longer have anyone here who is 
maintaining the code and therefore in the near future we would like to drop 
distribution by removing the link from our Web page. The code is licensed 
under the BSD license and therefore anyone can continue to maintain and 
distribute it, including incorporating it into commercial products (subject, 
of course, to any IPR from other parties), with no further obligation to 
Docomo except to keep Docomo's name on the code that was developed at Docomo 
and to continue using the BSD license on that code. Is there anyone who 
would like to take over the code and continue maintaining it, including 
working on whatever extensions the CSI WG decides upon? If so, please let me 
know by the end of Sept. so we can vector any future questions on the code 
to you. If we can't find anybody that wants to take over the code, we will 
likely remove the link from our Web page sometime in the near future, 
archive the code, and shut down the distribution mailing list with no 
referral for future questions.

Note that this does not mean that Docomo is no longer interested in SEND. 
SEND is an important part of the entire IPv6 security architecture, and any 
work in CGI that helps to extend last hop link security is important for 
future wireless networks.

            jak 

_______________________________________________
CGA-EXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cga-ext

---

From: JiangSheng 66104 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 14:56:08 +0800

Hi, James,

We, IP Research of Huawei, have discussed to start an experimental implementation for a couple of months already. So far, we have not decided whether our implementation would based on Docomo's implementation or we will build up from zero. We have discussed this with CSI chairs and Jari. The point, so far, is a total new implementation may help to re-examine the protocol.

It will help us to make the decision if you can tell up how much man power you have used in your open source SeND project.

If we decide to use Docomo's implementation as our start point at the end, of course, we will let you know and "keep Docomo's name on the code that was developed at Docomo and to continue using the BSD license on that code."

Best regards,

Sheng

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 13:41:16 -0700

Jiang,

A totally new implementation, especially in if it is open source, would 
certainly be useful.

I have a volunteer to continue working with Docomo's implementation. With 
two implementations tracking CSI, I think there should be an opportunity to 
get a good idea about any technical issues.

Thanx for your interest.

            jak

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "JiangSheng 66104" <[email-masked]>
To: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; "Shuo Shen" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2008 11:56 PM
Subject: Re: [CGA-EXT] Docomo USL SEND Distribution

> Hi, James,
>
> We, IP Research of Huawei, have discussed to start an experimental 
> implementation for a couple of months already. So far, we have not decided 
> whether our implementation would based on Docomo's implementation or we 
> will build up from zero. We have discussed this with CSI chairs and Jari. 
> The point, so far, is a total new implementation may help to re-examine 
> the protocol.
>
> It will help us to make the decision if you can tell up how much man power 
> you have used in your open source SeND project.
>
> If we decide to use Docomo's implementation as our start point at the end, 
> of course, we will let you know and "keep Docomo's name on the code that 
> was developed at Docomo and to continue using the BSD license on that 
> code."
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sheng
>