Subject: [CHANNEL-BINDING] registration for channel binding unique prefix "tls-unique"

From: Larry Zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:41:32 -0700

Subject: Registration of TLS unique channel binding (generic)
Channel binding unique prefix: tls-unique
Channel binding type: unique
Channel type: TLS
Published specification: none
Channel binding is secret: no
Description: The client's TLS Finished messages from the first handshake
        of the connection (note: connection, not session, so that the
        channel binding is specific to each connection regardless of
        whether session resumption is used).
Intended usage: COMMON
Person and email address to contact for further information:
        Larry Zhu([email-masked])
Owner/Change controller name and email address:
        Larry Zhu([email-masked])
Expert reviewer name and contact information: Nicolas Williams
        ([email-masked])
Note: This channel binding construction is thought to not require
        confidentiality protection.  We think this is so because the TLS
        PRF() should be resistant to key recovery attacks given that it
        is a simple construction based on HMAC and given the fact that
        the PRF key used in the Finished message computation is secret.
        In any event, the most common deployments of TLS always provide
        for session encryption, and when they don't then Finished
        messages are sent in clear text.  Thus the fact that most
        authentication mechanisms that support channel binding do not
        send the original channel binding in clear text over the wire is
        not even relevant (but if it were then it would be a mitigation
        should it turn out that TLS Finished messages require
        confidentiality protection).
Note: This registration was initially authored by Nicolas Williams
        ([email-masked]).
_______________________________________________
CHANNEL-BINDING mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/channel-binding