Subject: Re: [cicm] Key identification

From: "Novikov, Lev" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 15:47:09 -0500

John,

On 2011-01-25 16:35, John Fitton wrote:
[...]
> Might I recommend you read Section 5.1.6.4 of the Wireless Innovation Forum's 
> Security Work Group document "Securing Software Reconfigurable Communications
> Devices (WINNF-08-P-0013-V1.0.0). It is a publicly available document at this 
> link: [ http://groups.winnforum.org/p/cm/ld/fid=84 ] (3rd document down on the 
> list).

The WINNF document provides excellent guidance for module developers on associating
a locally unique key to incoming keys regardless of the source of the key.
However, CICM does not stipulate module internal policy. Some modules may be unable 
to apply metadata automatically in such a manner.

I realize now that the scenario I outlined (getting a loaded key to apply metadata) 
was too narrow. The point of the scenario was whether or not we should add two 
Module Events that indicate that one or more symmetric or asymmetric keys were loaded 
into the module. This would make it simpler to iterate over the appropriate list of
keys to determine which one was new. This could apply, for example, to a UI that lists 
the keys on a module listening for an update to refresh the list.

The main advantage of adding these two events is being able to fire these events after 
each key is filled (e.g., when using sporadic, network-based keying) OR after a large 
batch of keys are filled (e.g., when using a fill device).

This is now Issue 6: http://code.google.com/p/ietf-cicm/issues/detail?id=6
(I've migrated the existing issues from Trac to Google Code.)

Lev