Subject: [clue] What CLUE is about?

From: Roni Even <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 18:08:30 +0300

Hi, 

Going back through the requirements and framework I noticed the term "
satisfactory user experience" being used in both documents.

See requirement 1 in the requirement document and the following paragraph
from the framework.

"The purpose of this effort is to make it possible to handle multiple
streams of media in such a way that a satisfactory user experience is

   possible even when participants are on different vendor equipment and
when they are using devices with different types of communication

   capabilities."

I am not sure what the term means. The charter talks about " high
definition, high quality  audio/video enabling a "being-there" experience.

My question is if satisfactory user experience means satisfactory to achieve
a "being there" experience or is this term reducing the charter.

Thanks

Roni Even

---

From: Paul Coverdale <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 19:37:33 -0400

Hi Roni,

You've highlighted an interesting point, but I think we may be opening a can
of worms if we get too picky in trying to quantify what is meant by
"satisfactory user experience". This gets into the realm of subjective
assessment, mean opinion scores and all that sort of thing. I think your
interpretation that "satisfactory user experience" means preserving the
"being there" experience of Telepresence when interworking between equipment
from different vendors is what we are really aiming at.

Cheers,

...Paul

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Roni
Even
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:08 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [clue] What CLUE is about?

Hi, 

   capabilities."

Thanks

Roni Even