Subject: [clue] Fwd: [rtcweb] Dates for upcoming interim

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:50:43 -0400

Are we really going to have an interim in Stockholm ?

Regards
Marshall

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Subject: [rtcweb] Dates for upcoming interim
To: [email-masked]

After discussion between the WEBRTC and RTCWEB chairs, consulting the
doodle poll, and working through the potential for co-location with
CLUE, we have decided to set the date for the RTCWEB interim at June
12 & 13th, to be hosted by Ericsson in Stockholm.  We understand that
the WEBRTC chairs will hold their meeting on June 11th.  If CLUE
wishes to co-locate their meeting, the 14th and 15th will be
available.  This would not have been possible on the previous week,
given the national holiday in Sweden on the Wednesday of that week.

We very much appreciated the work Eric put into his analysis, and in
general we will try to prefer hubs; in this particular case, however,
a large fraction of the Western European participants are either based
in Stockholm or must fly through it to reach one of the larger hubs.
Given the availability of a host and this data, we decided to select
Stockholm for this meeting.

regards,

Ted Hardie, for the chairs.
_______________________________________________
rtcweb mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:07:07 -0500

No, unfortunately, the RTCWEB folks made a decision that was based on who
was available and they didn't count maybes, which would have put the total
the highest for Thursday the 7th, which would have allowed CLUE to meet on
the 5th and 6th, which is our 2nd optimal date.  Since the 6th is our
half-day meeting, folks that needed to be off on the 6th wouldn't miss as
much and we could organize the agenda to maximize their participation.
 However, the RTCWEB folks made their decision without consulting with the
CLUE WG chairs.   Note, also that their choice results in not having one of
the area directors at their meeting, which also doesn't make sense to me.
 Also, not having the CLUE and RTCWEB meetings co-located means that some
folks will not be at the CLUE meeting and given the number of drafts that
one of the individuals has that potentially apply to the CLUE solution,
it's extremely unfortunate.

It looks like June 7th and 8th are optimal for CLUE.  The only problem with
that choice is that the 6th is a Swedish holiday, so it is very unfortunate
that some of the folks based in Sweden may find this problematic. We have a
couple options:
1) We do another poll that includes the dates we originally skipped in
trying to co-locate with RTCWEB. If the folks that are impacted by the need
to travel on the 6th could let the chairs know then we can decide if we
should run another (short/quick poll).  We also need to do a poll for
location, however, I would first like folks that are willing to host to let
the chairs know, which leads to our 2nd option if the 6th really is a
problem:
2) Meet in Stockholm as that does allow the folks in Sweden to avoid travel
on the 6th, but we need a host and we need to see if the majority can
travel there.

Thanks,
Mary.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Marshall Eubanks <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> clue mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/clue
>

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:15:11 -0500

See my other response - not necessarily.

Mary.

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 17:23:34 +0200

Mary, CLUE WG

On 2012-04-12 18:07, Mary Barnes wrote:
> No, unfortunately, the RTCWEB folks made a decision that was based on
> who was available and they didn't count maybes, which would have put the
> total the highest for Thursday the 7th, which would have allowed CLUE to
> meet on the 5th and 6th, which is our 2nd optimal date.  Since the 6th
> is our half-day meeting, folks that needed to be off on the 6th wouldn't
> miss as much and we could organize the agenda to maximize their
> participation.  However, the RTCWEB folks made their decision without
> consulting with the CLUE WG chairs.   Note, also that their choice
> results in not having one of the area directors at their meeting, which
> also doesn't make sense to me.  Also, not having the CLUE and RTCWEB
> meetings co-located means that some folks will not be at the CLUE
> meeting and given the number of drafts that one of the individuals has
> that potentially apply to the CLUE solution, it's extremely unfortunate. 

I want to start with saying sorry this hasn't worked out as desired.

My individual position but with the knowledge of what we RTCWEB chair
has discussed. I have to say that there are several additional
constraints. First of all RTCWEB are co-locating with the W3C WebRTC WG.
As they want a full day and RTCWEB WG want 2 days we need three
consecutive days. That isn't available the week of 4-7th of June. In
addition there is a W3C official requirement on announcing events 8
weeks ahead of time. That we can meet by having RTCWEB meet 12-13 and
WebRTC the 11th. We do however have to rank co-location with our sister
organization higher than ensuring that CLUE WG worked out the best way.

It is unfortunate with the AD, but the rest of the considerations do
appear to weigh more heavily in my personal view.

> It looks like June 7th and 8th are optimal for CLUE.  The only problem
> with that choice is that the 6th is a Swedish holiday, so it is very
> unfortunate that some of the folks based in Sweden may find this
> problematic. We have a couple options: 
> trying to co-locate with RTCWEB. If the folks that are impacted by the
> need to travel on the 6th could let the chairs know then we can decide
> if we should run another (short/quick poll).  We also need to do a poll
> for location, however, I would first like folks that are willing to host
> to let the chairs know, which leads to our 2nd option if the 6th really
> is a problem:
> 2) Meet in Stockholm as that does allow the folks in Sweden to avoid
> travel on the 6th, but we need a host and we need to see if the majority
> can travel there. 

Ericsson is willing to host also the CLUE WG interim meeting in Stockholm.

I think having CLUE meet in Stockholm on the 7th and 8th at least allows
the individual that want to participate in both CLUE and RTCWEB/WEBRTC
to avoid having to travel to two locations. Yes, it becomes a weekend
away. But I know that I prefer a weekend in a foreign city to spend it
on airplanes.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:50:54 -0500

Thanks.  I agree this should be workable.  As a reminder to folks in the
CLUE WG, please respond to the doodle with regards to the location:
http://www.doodle.com/wwrdycma9ymrdn3r

As I previously, noted please put a no for Stockholm if you
absolutely/positively can't get there.  I will note that I did an initial
check of airfares and while I know that it's variable depending upon your
locale, I can fly to Stockholm (for both meetings) for less than half what
it would cost me to fly to Boston (for a CLUE meeting) and then on to
Stockholm for the RTCWEB meeting.

Thanks,
Mary.

---

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 00:39:28 +0300

Mary,

I am now not sure what is the plan.

Is there a final date for the RTCweb meeting, I did not see any message
after Ted's about put the decision ON HOLD.

I also think that if there is still a wish to co-locate the meetings it will
be better to ask again for the preferred dates so that we will not have to
stay for a weekend.

If we need to have a weekend in the middle we can also look at separate
locations since not all of the CLUE guys need to attend rtcweb

I also think that the CLUE meeting can overlap the W3C meeting.

Thanks

Roni 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mary
Barnes
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 7:51 PM
To: Magnus Westerlund
Cc: Cullen Jennings; [email-masked]; Ted Hardie; clue
Subject: Re: [clue] Fwd: [rtcweb] Dates for upcoming interim

Thanks,

Mary. 

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Magnus Westerlund
<[email-masked]> wrote:

Mary, CLUE WG

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
<tel:%2B46%2010%207148287> 
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
<tel:%2B46%2073%200949079> 
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------