Subject: [clue] Teletouch Demo at 3GSM 2012

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 10:52:53 -0400

http://vimeo.com/37734530

http://www.telepresenceoptions.com/2012/04/teletouch_creates_a_futuristic/

This is obviously intended for telepresence.

I wonder if this would create any CLUE requirements, such as

- whether a screen (or which screens) are touch sensitive and
- how the touch sensitivity is configured (are there standards for this) ?

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 10:27:17 -0500

I would think this functionality fits into a next stage for CLUE as it's
certainly not widely implemented in today's telepresence systems, which is
the current charter for CLUE.

Mary.

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> clue mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/clue
>

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 11:38:04 -0400

Interesting demo. But it raises many questions for me. The metaphor of 
being on two sides of a window doesn't really work for much application 
content. Does the woman on the other side of the screen see the *back* 
of the text displays, with the text inverted and backward?

There will be lots of new things coming along. Some with succeed and 
some won't. We probably don't want to do anything specific for a 
particular technology like this, but clue should be extensible for 
things like this. Figuring out if we have sufficient framework for 
extension is the hard part.

> - how the touch sensitivity is configured (are there standards for this) ?

I don't know anything about this. If anybody does please speak up.

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: Stephen Botzko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 08:54:50 +0200

Clearly the text cannot be inverted for collaboration, so the display is
not really modeling a window.

It seems to me that this will result in some perceptual confusion.  When
she touches a letter on her left, that same letter is rendered on my left -
so she would not appear to be touching the correct letter. That can be
"corrected" by reversing left and right in the woman's video capture.  That
simply moves the perceptual confusion - if there is an analog clock on the
wall behind the woman, it will look like it is running backwards.
Similarly if the woman were wearing a name tag (or had a logo on her
clothing), the text would be reversed.

So while this makes an interesting demo, there are some problems inherent
to the approach.

Thinking speculatively about future CLUE extensions
- The capture includes an overlay, which is intended to be rendered with
the capture.  I believe our current framework could be easily extended to
include this in the future.  It could have some implications on the
RTP/transport level  if the overlay is not transported as part of the
capture.

-One might need to specify a left-right reversal in the capture. That is
certainly easy enough to do, though it creates the perceptual issues noted
above.

Stephen Botzko

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]> wrote:

> content. Does the woman on the other side of the screen see the *back* of
> the text displays, with the text inverted and backward?
>
> There will be lots of new things coming along. Some with succeed and some
> won't. We probably don't want to do anything specific for a particular
> technology like this, but clue should be extensible for things like this.
> Figuring out if we have sufficient framework for extension is the hard part.
>
>
>> http://www.**telepresenceoptions.com/2012/**04/teletouch_creates_a_**
>> futuristic/<http://www.telepresenceoptions.com/2012/04/teletouch_creates_a_futuristic/>
>>
> ______________________________**_________________
> clue mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/**listinfo/clue<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/clue>
>

---

From: "Espen Berger (espeberg)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 15:25:15 +0200

The demo is a good example of how a annotation/collaboration/touch could
work with CLUE. 

I think the main thing CLUE should offer is naming conventions for
streams and extension mechanisms to allow for other protocols to extends
from CLUE version 1.  

An annotation protocol could typically integrate with CLUE to do things
like 

*         Which streams do I refer to locally (e.g. either 'main' or
'slides') 

*         Which segment do I refer to, e.g. middle segment of 'main' 

*         As a receiver you want to overlay on top video from a named
participants, and eventually a given segment. 

Regards 

-Espen 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Stephen Botzko
Sent: 3. mai 2012 08:55
To: Paul Kyzivat
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [clue] Teletouch Demo at 3GSM 2012

It seems to me that this will result in some perceptual confusion.  When
she touches a letter on her left, that same letter is rendered on my
left - so she would not appear to be touching the correct letter. That
can be "corrected" by reversing left and right in the woman's video
capture.  That simply moves the perceptual confusion - if there is an
analog clock on the wall behind the woman, it will look like it is
running backwards.  Similarly if the woman were wearing a name tag (or
had a logo on her clothing), the text would be reversed.

So while this makes an interesting demo, there are some problems
inherent to the approach.

Thinking speculatively about future CLUE extensions
- The capture includes an overlay, which is intended to be rendered with
the capture.  I believe our current framework could be easily extended
to include this in the future.  It could have some implications on the
RTP/transport level  if the overlay is not transported as part of the
capture.

-One might need to specify a left-right reversal in the capture. That is
certainly easy enough to do, though it creates the perceptual issues
noted above.

Stephen Botzko

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
wrote:

http://www.telepresenceoptions.com/2012/04/teletouch_creates_a_futuristi
c/

- whether a screen (or which screens) are touch sensitive and
- how the touch sensitivity is configured (are there standards for this)
?

       Thanks,
       Paul