Subject: [clue] Review of draft-hansen-clue-consumer-layout-00.txt

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 13:00:20 +0300

Hi,
I read the draft and I am not sure about the problem and the proposal.
What I saw are two topics.
The first is how the MCU will place the incoming streams in the outgoing
streams to be displayed in the right spatial order and the first paragraph
in section 4.1 explains how it will work.
The second problem as stated in the second paragraph of 4.1 is how does the
MCU knows which capture scenes entry to propose. For this you suggest in
section 5 that the consumer will send the area of display as part of the
consumer configuration and the text says "The MCU advertises that it can
send at least 12 switched video streams to A simultaneously". What is not
clear is why the MCU will advertise the a capture scene entry with 12
streams since this is just one possible option for a three screen monitor. I
think that in this case what is needed and what we were discussing is the
need for the consumer capability message.

Other comment is that the introduction was a bit confusing since it started
with discussion on how will the receiver know the capabilities and spatial
information of all participants but without any mention about how it relates
to RFC5117 topologies and to the conference event package which can help
with providing this information including support for late joiners and
partial notifications. Only when I got to section 4 I became aware that you
are trying to talk about the leg between the MCU and the receiving endpoint.

I think that we cannot address the issue of what should be in each media
stream from the issue of how does the provider build a relevant
advertisement.

To summarize: If the draft tries to address the issue of how to provide the
spatial information from all participants in a multipoint conference we
should look at the conference event package and extend it.
If we are trying to provide the optimized information to the consumer, the
provider will need more information about the consumer before sending an
advertisement. This can include some information about the how many streams
it can support and some spatial relation 

Roni