Subject: [clue] #25: Advertisement: Complete "all" or "delta"

From: "clue issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 18:51:55 -0000

#25: Advertisement:  Complete "all" or "delta"

 Issue a from 19-20 Sept. 2012 interim

 Need to decide whether advertisement is complete information "all" or just
 a "delta"  [Note: current framework is "all"]

-- 
--------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  mary.ietf.barnes@…  |      Owner:  draft-ietf-clue-framework@…
     Type:  enhancement         |     Status:  new
 Priority:  minor               |  Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  framework           |    Version:
 Severity:  -                   |   Keywords:
--------------------------------+-----------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/clue/trac/ticket/25>
clue <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/clue/>

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 09:33:08 +1100

Hello,

I guess this also applies to "Configure" messages also?

When "all" or "delta" is mentioned is this based on the previous 
instance of a message (i.e. Advertisement followed by another 
advertisement) or some CLUE state (i.e. State advertised by an 
Advertisement and then confirmed by a Configure message.)

Regards, Christian

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:01:41 -0400

(As individual)

> I guess this also applies to "Configure" messages also?

I think these can be considered separately.
Advertisements can get large, so there may be *some* motivation to 
minimize them with deltas. I believe Configure messages will be quite 
small and so there will be little motivation for deltas.

> Advertisement and then confirmed by a Configure message.)

The proposal is that once an Advertisement has been sent, a sequence of 
different Configure messages can be sent against it. So a Configure 
doesn't remove anything from the advertisement. And a new Advertisement 
need not take account of the prior one, or outstanding Configures. 
(Though it might want to.) So I believe a delta on an Advertisement 
should be to the prior Advertisement.

IMO we need to be convinced that the Advertisement is likely to be 
intolerably large before we go down this path. I am inclined to postpone 
this decision until we have a detailed proposal for a full encoding of 
the Advertisement.

	Thanks,
	Paul

> _______________________________________________
> clue mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/clue
>