Subject: [clue] Capture Attribute Discussion: 4.4. Role

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 14:37:04 +1100

Hello

The role attribute is described in draft-groves-clue-capture-attr:

"4.4.   Role

    The original definition of "Content" allows the indication that a
    particular media stream is related to the speaker.  CLUE should also
    allow this identification for captures.  In addition with the advent
    of XCON there may be other formal roles that may be associated with
    media/captures.  For instance: a remote end may like to always view
    the floor controller.  It is envisaged that a remote end may also
    chose captures depending on the role of the person/s captured. For
    example: the people at the remote end may wish to always view the
    chairmen.  This indicates that the capture is associated with an
    entity that has a particular role in the conference.  The values are:

    Speaker - indicates that the capture relates to the current speaker

    Floor - indicates that the capture relates to the current floor
    controller of the conference

    Chairman- indicates who the chairman of the meeting is.

    Others - ?"

The intention of this attribute is to have a standardised means of 
indicating the status of a person associated with a capture. As 
discussed in another thread a consumer might always want to select a 
capture associated with the "boss". The "role" attribute could be the 
mechanism to indicate this. It was also noted in discussions this could 
be extended to apply to presentations to refer to materials e.g. agenda, 
report, etc.

Does anyone have concerns with adding this capability to the framework? 
Like the view attribute if agree din principle I think we can have a 
discussion about suitable labels and extension mechanisms.

Regards, Christian

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:23:03 +1100

Hello Mike,

I agree we'll have to be careful to define the tokens. No doubt many of 
these common terms mean different things to different people. For 
example: A chairman and controller could be different people. A Chairman 
could be an official position "i.e. WG Chair" but it may be someone else 
managing the IT system "i.e. controller".

It may be that they are two groups related to roles?
One group related to the titles of the person: i.e. Boss, Chairman, 
Secretary, Lecturer, Audience and another group related to conference 
functions: i.e. Conference initiator, controller, speaker.

Regards, Christian

On 14/12/2012 1:21 AM, Michael Hammer wrote:
> No issues with having roles defined.
>
> However, someone who has the FLOOR is the speaker.
> A CONTROLLER or CHAIRMAN is someone who decides who may have the floor and
> can take the floor back from the current speaker.
>
> I think you should be careful about how you define these "tokens" or
> "powers" and how they are transferred to one party or another.
> Another potentially separate token is the power to start or end the meeting.
>
> Define what the mutually exclusive powers are, then choose names.
> But, keeping the names consistent with tradition will avoid much confusion.
>
> Mike
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Christian Groves
> Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:37 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [clue] Capture Attribute Discussion: 4.4. Role
>
> Hello
>
> indicating the status of a person associated with a capture. As discussed in
> another thread a consumer might always want to select a capture associated
> with the "boss". The "role" attribute could be the mechanism to indicate
> this. It was also noted in discussions this could be extended to apply to
> presentations to refer to materials e.g. agenda, report, etc.
>
> _______________________________________________
> clue mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/clue

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 18:17:06 -0500

[[ Mike has been having trouble with email to various mailing lists, 
including CLUE. I think his message went to Christian, but not to the 
list.]]

	Paul (as clue moderator)

On 12/13/12 5:23 PM, Christian Groves wrote:
>> discussed in

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 18:31:04 -0500

On 12/12/12 10:37 PM, Christian Groves wrote:
> indicating the status of a person associated with a capture.

I agree with this, in the abstract. But roles aren't absolute. They are 
wrt some context. I think the context here must be "this clue session".

> As
> mechanism to indicate this.

Based on the above, I don't think this attribute is useful for that use 
case. I didn't mean "the boss of this call". I meant "the boss of some 
participant in one of the rooms attached to this conference". It is 
likely that different participants will have different bosses, and in 
any case the MCU or system in each of the rooms won't know who are bosses.

Most likely someone in a room will have to use a GUI that shows the 
advertisement in some human friendly way to pick a capture that he wants 
to have locked to a display. Perhaps, while viewing the full room 
capture he can note that his boss is on the far left. Then looking at 
the advertisement he can see that there is a capture that covers just 
the far left, and so choose that one. Or possibly xcon (with some 
extensions) might provide enough info to tag captures with names of 
participants. (By facial recognition?)

> It was also noted in discussions this could

I'm in favor, as long as the definition is clear.

	Thanks,
	Paul