Subject: [clue] Capture Attribute Discussion: 4.2 View

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 14:36:58 +1100

Hello

The view attribute is described in draft-groves-clue-capture-attr:

"4.2.   View

    The Area of capture attribute provides a physical indication of a
    region that the media capture captures.  However the consumer does
    not know what this physical region relates to.  In discussions on the
    IETF mailing list it is apparent that some people propose to use the
    "Description" attribute to describe a scene.  This is a free text
    field and as such can be used to signal any piece of information.
    This leads to problems with interoperability if this field is
    automatically processed.  For interoperability purposes it is
    proposed to introduce a set of keywords that could be used as a basis
    for the selection of captures.  It is envisaged that this list would
    be extendable to allow for future uses not covered by the initial
    specification.  Therefore it is proposed to introduce a number of
    keywords (that may be expanded) indicating what the spatial region
    relates to?  I.e.  Room, table, etc. this is an initial description
    of an attribute introducing these keywords.

    This attribute provides a textual description of the area that a
    media capture captures.  This provides supplementary information in
    addition to the spatial information (i.e. area of capture) regarding
    the region that is captured.

    Room - Captures the entire scene.

    Table - Captures the conference table with seated participants

    Individual - Captures an individual participant

    Lectern - Captures the region of the lectern including the presenter
    in classroom style conference

    Audience - Captures a region showing the audience in a classroom
    style conference.

    Others - TBD"

The intention is to have an standardised set of labels to describe what 
view the capture relates to. Does any one have concerns over the 
principle of being able to describe views in a standard manner? If 
there's in principle agreement then I think we can discuss exactly what 
values/labels we define and how they are extensible.

Regards, Christian