Subject: [clue] #39: OPEN-3 Conference modes [REQMT-14]

From: "clue issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 15:02:46 -0000

#39: OPEN-3  Conference modes [REQMT-14]

 This wording of this requirement
 is problematic in part because the conference modes (site
 switching and segment switching) are not defined.  It at
 least needs rewording.  This is deferred until broader
 discussion on layout is concluded.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-clue-
  [email-masked]         |  telepresence-
     Type:  defect                   |  [email-masked]
 Priority:  major                    |     Status:  new
Component:  telepresence-            |  Milestone:  milestone1
  requirements                       |    Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document       |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/clue/trac/ticket/39>
clue <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/clue/>

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:17:23 -0500

My suggestion is to define the terms "site switching" and "segment
switching" in this document using terminology consistent with this
document.  NOte, that these terms don't explicitly appear in the
terminology section of the framework, however, they are clearly described
in 6.2.2.  So I think we can borrow some of that text and add a definition
to the requirements document and close this issue.  My suggestion is
something like:

Site-switching: there is a fixed relation between the cameras in each room
and the displays in remote rooms. The room or participants being shown is
switched from time to time based on who is speaking or by manual control.

Segment-switching: there is a variable relation between the cameras in each
room and the displays in different rooms. Rather than sending all the
images from a room, only the image with the active speaker is sent from a
specific room. Therefore the screens in each site are usually displaying
images from different remote sites - the current speaker at site A and
the previous
ones.

Please make suggestions if you have alternative wording. I'd like to get
this issue closed no later than August 12, 2013.

Thanks,
Mary.

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:31:00 +1000

Hello Mary,

Here's some text I've been working on with regards to the framework to 
better describe site and segment switch.

The "site-switch" policy means all captures are switched at the same 
time to keep captures from the same endpoint site together. Let's say 
the speaker is at site A and everyone else is at a "remote" site.
When the room at site A shown, all the camera images from site A are 
forwarded to the remote sites. Therefore at each receiving remote site, 
all the screens display camera images from site A. This can be used to 
preserve full size image display, and also provide full visual context 
of the displayed far end, site A. In site switching, there is a fixed 
relation between the cameras in each room and the displays in remote 
rooms. The room or participants being shown is switched from time to 
time based on who is speaking or by manual control.

The "segment-switch" policy means different captures can switch at 
different times, and can be coming from different endpoints. Still using 
site A as where the speaker is, and "remote" to refer to all the other 
sites, in segment switching, rather than sending all the images from 
site A, only the image containing the speaker at site A is shown. The 
camera images of the current speaker and previous speakers (if any) are 
forwarded to the other sites in the conference.
Therefore the screens in each site are usually displaying images from 
different remote sites - the current speaker at site A and the previous 
ones. This strategy can be used to preserve full size image display, and 
also capture the non-verbal communication between the speakers. In 
segment switching, the display depends on the activity in the remote 
rooms - generally, but not necessarily based on audio / speech detection.

Regards, Christian

On 24/07/2013 3:17 AM, Mary Barnes wrote:
> terminology section of the framework, however, they are clearly 
> described in 6.2.2. So I think we can borrow some of that text and add 
> a definition to the requirements document and close this issue. My 
> suggestion is something like:
>
> Site-switching:there is a fixed relation between the cameras in each 
> room and the displays in remote rooms. The room or participants being 
> shown is switched from time to time based on who is speaking or by 
> manual control.
>
> Segment-switching: there is a variable relation between the cameras in 
> each room and the displays in different rooms. Rather than sending all 
> the images from a room, only the image with the active speaker is sent 
> from a specific room. Therefore the screens in each site are usually 
> displaying images from different remote sites - the current speaker at 
> site A and the previous ones.
>
> Please make suggestions if you have alternative wording. I'd like to 
> get this issue closed no later than August 12, 2013.
>
> Thanks,
> Mary.
>
>
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM, clue issue tracker 
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> 
> wrote:
>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> |
>     telepresence-
>     <mailto:[email-masked]>
> _______________________________________________
> clue mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/clue