Subject: [clue] Please don't cross-post

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 20:09:56 -0500

While I realize posting to multiple mailing lists might seem an
expedient thing to do, it is often quite problematic in cases where
folks that aren't subscribed to ALL of the multiple mailing lists in
the thread respond. That situation requires the moderators (usually WG
chairs) to then moderate the messages from non-members - often valid
postings but the IETF email lists are typically configured to hold any
postings from non-members.  A better option is to post a link to the
discussion thread in other WGs on the WG mailing lists that might have
interest in the topic.

While this might seem a tedious comment (i.e., how hard is it to
approve messages and  whitelist posters?), I moderate over 30 IETF
related WG mailing lists, so just a few messages from folks that are
not members to each of these lists adds up to a lot of emails in my
mailbox and a lot of links to click and passwords to enter.

Note, that I also think that cross-posting makes it difficult for
folks that file emails per WG to keep track of the topics since the
emails can end up spread across multiple folders.

Thanks,
Mary.