Subject: [clue] Global CSE List in framework

From: "Duckworth, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:10:10 -0700

Here is a new section I'm adding to the framework.  Please send any comments or suggestions.

==============================
7.3.3. Global Capture Scene Entry List

An Advertisement can include an optional global Capture Scene Entry list, for each media type.  Each item in this list is a set of one or more Capture Scene Entries.  Each set of CSEs in the list is a suggestion from the Provider to the Consumer for which CSEs represent the entire advertisement, across multiple scenes.  The Provider can include multiple sets, to accommodate different Consumers with varying capability to receive multiple encodings.  This is very similar to how each CSE represents a particular scene.

As an example, suppose an advertisement has three scenes, and each scene has three CSEs, ranging from one to three video captures in each CSE.  The provider is advertising a total of nine video captures across three scenes.  The provider can use the Global CSE list to suggest alternatives for consumers that can't receive all nine video captures.  For accommodating a consumer that wants to receive three video captures, a provider might suggest a single CSE with three captures and nothing from the other two scenes.  Or a provider might suggest three different CSEs, one from each scene, with a single video capture in each.  The choice of how to make these suggestions in the Global CSE list for what represents the entire advertisement is up to the provider.

Some additional rules:
*             The ordering of items (sets of CSEs) in the global CSE list is not important.
*             The ordering of CSEs within each set is not important.
*             The Provider must be capable of encoding and sending all Captures within the CSEs of a given set simultaneously.
==============================

I also added a statement in 7.3 saying a CSE has an advertisement unique identity.

I also plan to add an example in 12.3 for Global CSE List, taken from my IETF89 slides.

Mark

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 12:21:36 +1100

Hello Mark,

Thanks for providing a start for the text. Some comments below.

Regards, Christian

On 28/03/2014 4:10 AM, Duckworth, Mark wrote:
>
> Here is a new section I’m adding to the framework. Please send any 
> comments or suggestions.
>
> An Advertisement can include an optional global Capture Scene Entry 
> list, for each media type. Each item in this list is a set of one or 
> more Capture Scene Entries. Each set of CSEs in the list is a 
> suggestion from the Provider to the Consumer for which CSEs represent 
> the entire advertisement, across multiple scenes.
>
[CNG] I'm not sure about the wording about "..for which CSEs represent 
the entire advertisement..." For me the "advertisement" is the CLUE 
message. So it seems strange to talk about CSEs representing the 
advertisement. Perhaps something like "... for which CSEs provide a 
complete representation of the simultaneous captures provided by the 
provider, across multiple scenes."?
>
> The Provider can include multiple sets, to accommodate different 
> Consumers with varying capability to receive multiple encodings. This 
> is very similar to how each CSE represents a particular scene.
>
[CNG] Is the GCSE about providing sets for multiple "encodings"? You can 
provide multiple encodings without GSEs. Isn't it about providing 
different sets of captures so that a receiver can best determine what 
the set of captures it wants based on the service it wants to provide. 
I.e. a consumer may only support three media streams (3 encodings) but 
these may be used in a number of ways.

> As an example, suppose an advertisement has three scenes, and each 
> scene has three CSEs, ranging from one to three video captures in each 
> CSE. The provider is advertising a total of nine video captures across 
> three scenes. The provider can use the Global CSE list to suggest 
> alternatives for consumers that can't receive all nine video captures.
>
[CNG] Maybe we should add at the end "... all nine video captures <as 
separate media streams>."?
>
> For accommodating a consumer that wants to receive three video 
> captures, a provider might suggest a single CSE with three captures 
> and nothing from the other two scenes. Or a provider might suggest 
> three different CSEs, one from each scene, with a single video capture 
> in each. The choice of how to make these suggestions in the Global CSE 
> list for what represents the entire advertisement is up to the provider.
>
> Some additional rules:
>
[CNG] Perhaps also? "A CSE may be used in multiple sets." Otherwise its 
not clear whether this is allowed or not. Also I take it there's at most 
one CSE instance per SET.
>
> • The ordering of items (sets of CSEs) in the global CSE list is not 
> important.
>
> • The ordering of CSEs within each set is not important.
>
> • The Provider must be capable of encoding and sending all Captures 
> within the CSEs of a given set simultaneously.
>
[CNG] Do we need to add some text to the simultaneous set section of the 
framework indicating this? We should probably say something about the 
interaction. i.e. If a GCSE set is included should the provider actually 
need to provide a STS? Sendings CSEs in a STS indicates the those 
CSE/captures may be used simultaneously. There appears to be alot of 
overlap with the GCSE in this respect.

[CNG] OK
>
> Mark
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> clue mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/clue