Subject: [clue] Taxonomy

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 13:06:04 +1000

Hello all,

At the London meeting it was mentioned there is a potential conflict in 
the way that CLUE uses some of the terminology from the RTP taxonomy 
draft (draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-grouping-taxonomy).

I think this mainly relates to the use of the term "Participant".

In cl.2.2.3 of the taxonomy draft there is a definition for the term 
"participant":
/"A participant is an entity reachable by a single signaling address,//
//   and is thus related more to the signaling context than to the media//
//   context."

/In the XCON data model cl.4.6.5/[RFC6501] it uses the term "user" to 
describe the concept outlined in the draft definition. RFC4575 also uses 
the term "user" for this.

In CLUE we use participant as per the definition above (i.e. in the 
definition of Endpoint and MCU) but we also use "participant" to mean 
someone captured by the endpoint, i.e. the people in the room.

In order to minimise any confusion between the two uses I propose that 
we change the later use to "person" in our documents.

For example: in the framework:
- "Participant Information" becomes "Person Information",
- "participant type" becomes "person type".
- Where "participant" is used in the text it becomes "person" or "people".
   i.e.   Table - Captures the conference table with seated people.
     Individual - Captures an individual person.

Christian