Subject: [clue] FW: Appsdir review of XML schema in https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-clue-data-model-schema-14

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 18:34:33 +0300

-----Original Message-----
From: Henry S. Thompson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:58 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Appsdir review of XML schema in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-clue-data-model-schema-14

[Argh, fumble-finger -- resending with correct address lines]

Document: draft-ietf-clue-data-model-schema
Title: An XML Schema for the CLUE data model
Reviewer: Henry S. Thompson
Review Date: 2016-05-11
IETF Last Call Date: 2016-05-23
ESG Telechat Date: 2016-06-02

I have been selected as the Applications Area Directorate reviewer for this
draft (for background on appsdir, please see
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/ApplicationsAreaDirectorate).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you
may receive. Please wait for direction from your document shepherd or AD
before posting a new version of the draft.

Summary: The XML Schema itself which is included in this draft is conformant
to the XML Schema 1.0 spec, and is good to go, subject to a minor
correction.  There is a minor glitch in one of the XML examples, also easily
corrected.

Comments:

I tested the XML Schema document included as section 4 and it passes as
valid against the schema for schemas.  The example document in section
17 is schema-valid according to the corresponding schema.  See 'Nits'
below for a minor problem with the example document in section 18.

I briefly reviewed the schema document and it seems straightforward and fit
for its intended purpose.

Minor Issues:

Section 4, lines 13--14:

 <xs:import namespace="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:vcard-4.0"
 schemaLocation="xcard.xsd"/>

As this stands, it's not actually usable for validation purposes, because no
xcard.xsd file is supplied.  Furthermore, there is no Appendix A, which is
alleged to provide it (see 11.29.1.2).

I note further that the xCard RFC (6351) doesn't contain an XSD-format
schema document either.  The IANA XML Registry [1] schema entry for the
urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:vcard-4.0 URN namespace _does_ however link to such a
schema document [2].  I suggest you either
  a) Edit the draft so the above lines read

 <xs:import namespace="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:vcard-4.0"
 
schemaLocation="http://www.iana.org/assignments/xml-registry/schema/vcard-4.
0.xsd"/>

  (this is what I did to do the validity checks I did);

or

 b) Delete the schemaLocation attribute and add a comment identifying
    possible sources of a schema document for the vcard-4.0 namespace,
    e.g. the above iana.org URI or the contents of Appendix A (if you
    fill it in).

Nits:

Section 18, the XML example has a (copy-paste?) error, which renders that
example invalid against the schema.  The line

             <encGroupIDREF>EG0</encGroupIDREF>

appears twice inside mediaCapture VC7, once on line 204 and once on line
237.  The first occurrence should be deleted.

[1] http://www.iana.org/assignments/xml-registry/xml-registry.xhtml#schema
[2] http://www.iana.org/assignments/xml-registry/schema/vcard-4.0.xsd
-- 
       Henry S. Thompson, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
      10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh EH8 9AB, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: [email-masked]
                       URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/  [mail from me
_always_ has a .sig like this -- mail without it is forged spam]