Subject: Re: [Fwd: more CNRP]

From: Nicolas Popp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:39:13 -0700

Does it mean that a service can have multiple dataseturi(s)and that servers
are scoped to a specific dataset?

-Nico

-----Original Message-----
From: Leslie Daigle [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2000 10:36 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Fwd: more CNRP]

Michael Mealling wrote:
> Point of information: are we just changing the tagname of serviceuri
> to dataseturi or are we changing the entire Service object to be
> a Dataset object?

I _think_ it's just the serviceURI that becomes the datasetURI.
If there is a serviceURI, it should point to some administrative
contact/page for the service.

IMHO.

Leslie.

--

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"My body obeys Aristotelian laws of physics."
   -- ThinkingCat

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:53:40 -0400

Howdy,

Hmmm... this still seems a little rocky.

> are scoped to a specific dataset?

What it currently means is that the service is scoped to a specific
dataset, which may be accessible from different servers.

Grabbing one of the examples from the text:

        <service ttl="43200">
             <dataseturi>urn:foo:bar</dataseturi>
             <servers>
             <server>
             <serveruri>http://host1.acmecorp.com:4321/foo?</serveruri>
             </server>
             <server>
             <serveruri>smtp://host2.acmecorp.com:4321/foo?</serveruRI>
             </server>
             </servers>

If we want a service to be able to span more than one dataset, then
I think we need to introduce the dataset object (and maybe bring
back the serviceURI):

        <service ttl="43200">
          <serviceURI>http://www.notdotcom.com/foo</serviceURI>
          <dataset>
             <dataseturi>urn:foo:bar</dataseturi>
             <servers>
             <server>
             <serveruri>http://host1.acmecorp.com:4321/foo?</serveruri>
             </server>
             <server>
             <serveruri>smtp://host2.acmecorp.com:4321/foo?</serveruRI>
             </server>
          </dataset>
          <dataset>
             <dataseturi>urn:foo:bar2</dataseturi>
             <servers>
             <server>
             <serveruri>http://host1.acmecorp.com:4321/bar?</serveruri>
             </server>
             <server>
             <serveruri>smtp://host2.acmecorp.com:4321/bar?</serveruRI>
             </server>
          </dataset>
          </service>

We're teetering on the edge of complexity again, but I think it's
not uncalled for.

Leslie.

--

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]