Subject: new spam measures

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 11:06:22 -0400

Administrivia:

Due to a recent increase in the amount of spam on these two lists, I have
specified that both lists are now moderated by me personally. The stated
policy is that anything sent to the list that is not spam is immediately
posted. I will not edit or comment on any piece of mail.

The obvious downside is that posts to the list may take
a few hours to be posted as I'm not always reading my mail.
If this turns out to be  a problem we can investigate other solutions.

-MM

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions       |          www.lp.org          |  [email-masked]

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 12:51:25 -0400

Howdy,

I appreciate the efforts to curtail spam.

But does it really have to be this binary?  Could it not at least
be set up so that list members' messages went through directly,
and non-list-members were moderated (i.e., non-list-members must
be able to post, but a manual check for spam wouldn't be outrageous).

I'm just worried about what happens when there is a flurry of
discussion, as there is occasionally.  I don't want to lose the
dynamic when that happens :-)

Leslie.

--

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"My body obeys Aristotelian laws of physics."
   -- ThinkingCat

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 12:55:06 -0400

> dynamic when that happens :-)

I thunk on this for a few minutes and two things made me do it this way:

1) It helps alleviate things like mail viri (see "ILOVEYOU" on the ietf list).

2) I couldn't find a way to do this in the listserv manual. I'll keep
looking though...

-MM

---

From: Martin Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 18:32:02 +0100

Leslie Daigle writes:

| But does it really have to be this binary?  Could it not at least
| be set up so that list members' messages went through directly,
| and non-list-members were moderated (i.e., non-list-members must
| be able to post, but a manual check for spam wouldn't be outrageous).

</lurk

I run a bunch of lists (using Majordomo, admittedly) where subscribers
can always post, but non-subscribers can only post if they're members
of a pass list.  Postings from people who aren't subscribers or
members of the pass list bounce to the list admin, who can decide
whether or not to add that person to the pass list and whether to
resend their message to the list.

Works well, no sp*m (or Visual Basic scripts, but that's done
elsewhere :-), takes at most a couple of minutes a day to run, and
carries on working when I'm not around...

<lurk>