Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-cnrp-goals-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 06:42:57 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Common Name Resolution Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Context and Goals for Common Name Resolution
        Author(s)       : N. Popp,  M. Mealling, L. Masinter, K. Sollins
        Filename        : draft-ietf-cnrp-goals-01.txt
        Pages           : 8
        Date            : 01-May-00

This document establishes the context and goals for a Common Name
Resolution Protocol. It defines the terminology used concerning a
'Common Name' and how one might be 'resolved', and establishes the
distinction between 'resolution' and more elaborate search
mechanisms. It establishes some expected contexts for use of Common
Name Resolution, and the criteria for evaluating a successful
protocol. It also analyzes the various motivations that would cause
services to provide Common Name resolution for both public, private
and commercial use.
This document is intended as input to the formation of a Common Name
Resolution Protocol working group. Please send any comments to
[email-masked]. To review the mail archives, see
<http://lists.internic.net/archives/cnrp-ietf.html>

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cnrp-goals-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-ietf-cnrp-goals-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cnrp-goals-01.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.