Subject: Protocol Action: Common Name Resolution Protocol (CNRP) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 15:11:16 -0400

The IESG has approved the following Internet-Drafts as Proposed Standards:

o Common Name Resolution Protocol (CNRP)
        <draft-ietf-cnrp-12.txt>

o The 'go'URI Scheme for the Common Name Resolution Protocol
        <draft-ietf-cnrp-uri-07.txt>

These documents are the product of the Common Name Resolution Protocol
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Patrik
Faltstrom.

Technical Summary

CNRP (Common Name Resolution Protocol) is about for client applications to
communicate with common name resolution services, where a "common name" is
a word or a phrase, without imposed syntactic structure, that may be
associated with a resource. It is defined in XML, and allows more than one
transport mechanism for transport. SMTP and HTTP are defined in the
document.

What also is defined is a URI scheme "go:" to be used with CNRP. The "go:"
scheme has more in common with the location independent "news" scheme than
any other URI scheme.

Working Group Summary

The working group had consensus around this solution.

Protocol Quality

The protocol is reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom. Changes from versions 09 and
06 which was last called are based on comments during last call.

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:42:32 -0400

Well, folks, with this, we are done!

Congratulations, and thanks everybody for your attention & hard
work.

Leslie.

--

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"An essential element of a successful journey
    is recognizing when you have arrived."
   -- ThinkingCat

Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------