Subject: RFC 4790 code point collation identifier

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 01:02:19 +0100

Hi,

  I am interested in having a collation identifier as per RFC 4790 for
the Unicode code point collation as more or less defined in the XQ
Functions and Operators specification. It does not seem that there is
an Internet-Draft or other attempt at specifying it. Did I miss some-
thing? What would a specification say for the validity operation?

Thanks,
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:37:25 +0100

Bjoern Hoehrmann writes:
> Functions and Operators specification.

OK.

> It does not seem that there is an Internet-Draft or other attempt at 
> specifying it. Did I miss some- thing?

Perhaps RFC 5051. At a superficial glance, it and the the default 
collation described in XQ 7.3.1 look equivalent.

There has been an attempt to define the Unicode Collation Algorithm 
(also mentioned in 7.3.1) in RFC terms. Not duplicating it, just naming 
things so that the algorithm can be used in RFCs.

That document landed in my lap after a while. If you care I could finish 
it. There isn't much left to do. (I didn't finish it until now for a 
variety of reasons. Mostly blah health blah priority blah.)

> What would a specification say for the validity operation?

Depends on which collation you mean.

Arnt

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:49:43 +0100

>collation described in XQ 7.3.1 look equivalent.

As I understand it, i;unicode-casemap performs case conversion and some
normalization and then compares the result. What I am looking for, and
what I think the default collation is, is strict Unicode identity. Put
simply, represent both strings as UTF-8 sequences and apply i;octet.

>variety of reasons. Mostly blah health blah priority blah.)

I found that draft and think it would be nice if it was finished, but
there is no hurry, from my perspective, to finish it.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 00:50:12 +0100

>thing? What would a specification say for the validity operation?

I am considering to post the following Internet-Draft when publication
resumes and would appreciate comments, particularily on identifier and
title:

  http://www.websitedev.de/ietf/draft-hoehrmann-id-collation-00.txt

regards,