Subject: Re: associating constant feature sets wi

From: [email-masked] (Reynolds Franklin NRC/Boston)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:14:55 -0500

I agree with Koen, that a generic or transport independent negotiation
protocol may have only  limited value. On the other hand,  I would like to
see a capability negotiation protocol for HTTP. I am not sure whether the
work should be done in this group or the HTTP group.

I thought that "delegation" referred to a mechanism for asking one or more
third parties to provide partial or complete profile information. Partial
profile information from multiple sources could be aggragated in some way
to provide a complete profile. Such a third party might be a cache or proxy
or some other server not normally part of the communication channel. In
the CC/PP paper there was a notion of "indirect references" which were
URLs that named profiles with default values that could be superseded by
a user agent.

I agree with Graham that we can separate most of the issues of naming
and representation of feature sets from "transfer". I am very interested
in an HTTP specific version of the negotiation protocol but I don't have
a strong preference about where the work takes place.

Franklin Reynolds
Nokia Research Center

---

From: Johan Hjelm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:33:48 +0100

>work should be done in this group or the HTTP group.
In a work that is being done in conjunction with the WAP Forum, myself and
Hidetaka Ohto of Panasonic are currently developing exactly that. We should
be able to make the protocol available for review here when the spec is in
a decent state. 
It turns out that HTTP is a rather good fit for this (if you use extension
headers), but departs a lot from the protocol-independent direction the
conneg group has been taking, since several of our ideas are using generic
HTTP 1.1 functions to accomplish the process. 

Johan
************************************************************
                     Johan HJELM
            Ericsson RCUR T/K & Cyberlab NY 
         Currently visiting engineer at the W3C
             The World Wide Web Consortium
                     [email-masked]
   http://www.w3.org/People/W3Cpeople.html#Hjelm
    Fax +1-617-258 5999, Phone +1-617-263-9630
   MIT/LCS, 545 Tech. Sq. Cambridge MA 02139 USA 
        opinions are personal, always my own, 
  and not necessarily those of Ericsson or the W3C. 
============================================================

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:37:49 -0800 (PST)

The creation of a capability negotiation *protocol* is out of scope for
this group; we are charged with creating a feature registry and
methods for representing those registered features which can be used
by other protocols.

If you are interested in creating or reviewing such a protocol within
the IETF, you should contact the area directors and arrange a BOF on
the topic.
		regards,
				Ted Hardie
				Chair, CONNEG