Subject: Protocol Action: A syntax for describing media feature sets to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 08:50:39 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'A syntax for describing media
feature sets' <draft-ietf-conneg-feature-syntax-04.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Content Negotiation
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Keith Moore and Patrik
Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
 This document describes a syntax which can be used to describe
 feature sets, which are expressed as combinations and relations
 of individual media features.  These feature sets are intended
 to be used to describe the media handling capabilities of
 message senders, message recipients, and file formats.  It also
 describes an algorithm for matching feature sets.

Working Group Summary

 Working group discussion was relatively straightforward, with
 rapid convergence on the submitted document.

Protocol Quality

 This syntax is similar to that provided by LDAP search filters.
 It is easy to parse and interpret, and is believed to be a
 satisfactory choice for its intended purpose of describing
 media feature sets.  It remains to be seen how well the
 'quality' syntax works in practice to describe preferences
 among various capabilities, but this can only be determined
 by experience.  The specification meets the requirements for
 Proposed Standard.

 Keith Moore reviewed the spec for IESG.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please remove Appendix A when publishing.