Subject: Re: ISSUE: URI form for hash draft

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 13:25:04 +0100

At 12:12 07/06/99 -0700, [email-masked] wrote:
>The current hash draft allows a URI to be on either the left hand side
>or the right hand side of feature declaration.

Ted,

Without attempting to debate the merits of the issue at hand in this
message, I think the statement above is confusing.

As the draft is currently written, the <URI> form may appear anywhere
within a feature expression (which of itself does not have an LHS and RHS).
 E.g.

   (& (dpi<=200) <http://www.acme.com/widget/features.html> )

The proposal that I thought you were making was to restrict the <URI> form
to the RHS of an auxiliary predicate definition, so the above expression
would be written as something like:

   (& (dpi<=200) (h.1234567890abcdef1234567890abcdef) )
   where
   (h.1234567890abcdef1234567890abcdef) :-
        <http://www.acme.com/widget/features.html>

[Note that this form of '<URI>' to represent a feature expression is quite
distinct from a feature tag with a 'u.' leading facet.]

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 09:16:35 -0700 (PDT)

Graham,
	Thanks for your clarification; you've put the issue
and my proposal very clearly.
			regards,
				Ted