Subject: [core] RFC 9175 on Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP): Echo, Request-Tag, and Token Processing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 13:53:58 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9175

        Title:      Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP):
                    Echo, Request-Tag, and Token Processing 
        Author:     C. Amsüss,
                    J. Preuß Mattsson,
                    G. Selander
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2022
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      27
        Updates:    RFC 7252

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-core-echo-request-tag-14.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9175

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9175

This document specifies enhancements to the Constrained Application
Protocol (CoAP) that mitigate security issues in particular use
cases. The Echo option enables a CoAP server to verify the freshness
of a request or to force a client to demonstrate reachability at its
claimed network address. The Request-Tag option allows the CoAP
server to match block-wise message fragments belonging to the same
request. This document updates RFC 7252 with respect to the
following: processing requirements for client Tokens, forbidding
non-secure reuse of Tokens to ensure response-to-request binding when
CoAP is used with a security protocol, and amplification mitigation
(where the use of the Echo option is now recommended).

This document is a product of the Constrained RESTful Environments Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC