Subject: [Cose] Stephen Farrell's Yes on charter-ietf-cose-00-02: (with COMMENT)

From: "Stephen Farrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 06:50:51 -0700

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-cose-00-02: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-cose/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I was initially sceptical that there were enough folks 
interested in CBOR to justify this but was convinced
that there are. 

That does sort-of create a precedent for us that anytime
someone comes along with a way of representing data
on the wire then we should be ok with a WG to define
the crypto for that so long as there's enough folks
interested. I'm fine with that, but that does follow from
saying yes here I think so I just wanted to call that
out to the IESG in case someone disagrees.

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 10:00:50 -0400

> out to the IESG in case someone disagrees.

For the record, I think my comment amounts to the same sort of result as yours.

Barry

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 10:22:37 -0400

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Thanks, Barry.  I got this info up front in meetings and discussions, so
it was good to see it on list again for everyone else's benefit.

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 15:04:18 -0400

> out to the IESG in case someone disagrees.

I'll note that if CBOR had not already been an IETF RFC (7049) then I'd
have less of an positive attitude towards it (and as a result COSE).  So
it's not quite "anytime someone comes along with a way of representing
data on the wire."

On the other hand I'll point out that the IETF has long been a place
where outside work has been accepted.  C.f. XMPP/BEEP, OAuth, and a
bunch of other stuff too.

-derek
-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant