Subject: [COSE] Key Management is an ambiguous term

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 14:40:26 -0700

Github did not send this mail out.

Issue #2 Key Management is an ambiguous term
https://github.com/cose-wg/cose-issues/issues/2

The term "Key Management" is an ambiguous term and needs to either be
clarified or removed from the message specification. The problem is that the
charter also uses the term "Key Management" where it should have use the
term "Key Lifecycle" or similar. This is a problem because we use the same
term when dealing with how content keys are identified, transported or
derived. However since the charter says that key management is out of scope
we are going to get in trouble if we continue to use that term.

To date the suggested replacements are:

Content Key Management
Key Conveyance
Key Establishment

None of them are good terms and there is no consensus on any of these terms.
There is however consensus on "Pick one and go with it". People are free to
add to the list in this issue. I will do some type of random choice unless I
see one I really like on 15 August and just update the document.