Subject: Re: [COSE] Using RSA Algorithms with COSE Messages

From: Mike Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 02:45:36 +0000

I request that we discuss adoption of this specification as a working group draft in Berlin and on the list.

                                                       Thanks,
                                                       -- Mike

From: COSE [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mike Jones
Sent: Monday, April 4, 2016 12:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [COSE] Using RSA Algorithms with COSE Messages

I have published draft-jones-cose-rsa, which defines algorithm encodings and representations enabling RSA algorithms to be used for COSE messages.  This addresses COSE Issue #21<https://github.com/cose-wg/cose-issues/issues/21>: Restore RSA-PSS and the "RSA" key type.  The initial version of this specification incorporates text from draft-ietf-cose-msg-05 - the last COSE message specification version before the RSA algorithms were removed.

The specification is available at:

*       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jones-cose-rsa-00

An HTML-formatted version is also available at:

*       http://self-issued.info/docs/draft-jones-cose-rsa-00.html

                                                          -- Mike

P.S.  This was also posted at http://self-issued.info/?p=1559 and as @selfissued<https://twitter.com/selfissued>.

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 10:57:53 -0700

Do we have any expectation that this would be used or are we doing it for
completeness?

Most small IoT devices are going to go with one algorithm and skip the
concept of algorithm agility.  This means that they are going to select
algorithms based on:

1.      How much RAM/ROM is needed?

2.      How much energy is needed for computation?

3.      What is the output size of the result?

4.      How paranoid am I about this algorithm and the US government?

I do not currently believe that they are going to care about quantum
computers and the fact that EC goes to pot when they show up.

Is there another environment where we think it is going to be used?

Jim

From: COSE [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mike Jones
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2016 7:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [COSE] Using RSA Algorithms with COSE Messages

I request that we discuss adoption of this specification as a working group
draft in Berlin and on the list.

                                                       Thanks,

                                                       -- Mike

From: COSE [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mike Jones
Sent: Monday, April 4, 2016 12:10 PM
To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
Subject: [COSE] Using RSA Algorithms with COSE Messages

I have published draft-jones-cose-rsa, which defines algorithm encodings and
representations enabling RSA algorithms to be used for COSE messages.  This
addresses COSE Issue #21 <https://github.com/cose-wg/cose-issues/issues/21>
: Restore RSA-PSS and the "RSA" key type.  The initial version of this
specification incorporates text from draft-ietf-cose-msg-05 - the last COSE
message specification version before the RSA algorithms were removed.

                                                          -- Mike

P.S.  This was also posted at http://self-issued.info/?p=1559 and as
@selfissued <https://twitter.com/selfissued> .