Subject: [COSE] Alexey Melnikov's No Objection on draft-ietf-cose-msg-22: (with COMMENT)

From: "Alexey Melnikov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 08:38:32 -0700

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-cose-msg-22: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cose-msg/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for addressing my earlier comments. I have one small issue that
resulted in a recent change:

This is a well written document, despite its length. Thank you for that.

Some specific comments:

content type:  This parameter is used to indicate the content type of
      the data in the payload or cipher text fields.  Integers are from
      the "CoAP Content-Formats" IANA registry table [COAP.Formats].
      Text values following the syntax of Content-Type defined in
      Section 4.2 of [RFC6838] omitting the prefix string "Content-
      Type:".

This is not quite right, as Section 4.2 of [RFC6838] doesn't define
Content-Type header field. It defines:

     type-name = restricted-name
     subtype-name = restricted-name

     restricted-name = restricted-name-first *126restricted-name-chars
     restricted-name-first  = ALPHA / DIGIT
     restricted-name-chars  = ALPHA / DIGIT / "!" / "#" /
                              "$" / "&" / "-" / "^" / "_"
     restricted-name-chars =/ "." ; Characters before first dot always
                                  ; specify a facet name
     restricted-name-chars =/ "+" ; Characters after last plus always
                                  ; specify a structured syntax suffix

So you should say something like this instead:

      Text values following the syntax "<type-name>/<subtype-name>",
      where <type-name> and <subtype-name> are defined in
      Section 4.2 of [RFC6838].