Subject: [COSE] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC8152 (5545)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 20:38:03 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC8152,
"CBOR Object Signing and Encryption (COSE)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5545

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Francesca Palombini <[email-masked]>

Section: 7.1

Original Text
-------------
   +---------+-------+----------------+------------+-------------------+
   | Name    | Label | CBOR Type      | Value      | Description       |
   |         |       |                | Registry   |                   |
   +---------+-------+----------------+------------+-------------------+
   | kty     | 1     | tstr / int     | COSE Key   | Identification of |
   |         |       |                | Common     | the key type      |
   |         |       |                | Parameters |                   |
   |         |       |                |            |                   |
   | kid     | 2     | bstr           |            | Key               |
   |         |       |                |            | identification    |
   |         |       |                |            | value -- match to |
   |         |       |                |            | kid in message    |
   |         |       |                |            |                   |
   | alg     | 3     | tstr / int     | COSE       | Key usage         |
   |         |       |                | Algorithms | restriction to    |
   |         |       |                |            | this algorithm    |
   |         |       |                |            |                   |
   | key_ops | 4     | [+ (tstr/int)] |            | Restrict set of   |
   |         |       |                |            | permissible       |
   |         |       |                |            | operations        |
   |         |       |                |            |                   |
   | Base IV | 5     | bstr           |            | Base IV to be     |
   |         |       |                |            | xor-ed with       |
   |         |       |                |            | Partial IVs       |
   +---------+-------+----------------+------------+-------------------+

                          Table 3: Key Map Labels

Corrected Text
--------------
   +---------+-------+----------------+------------+-------------------+
   | Name    | Label | CBOR Type      | Value      | Description       |
   |         |       |                | Registry   |                   |
   +---------+-------+----------------+------------+-------------------+
   | kty     | 1     | tstr / int     | COSE Key   | Identification of |
   |         |       |                | Types      | the key type      |
   |         |       |                |            |                   |
   |         |       |                |            |                   |
   | kid     | 2     | bstr           |            | Key               |
   |         |       |                |            | identification    |
   |         |       |                |            | value -- match to |
   |         |       |                |            | kid in message    |
   |         |       |                |            |                   |
   | alg     | 3     | tstr / int     | COSE       | Key usage         |
   |         |       |                | Algorithms | restriction to    |
   |         |       |                |            | this algorithm    |
   |         |       |                |            |                   |
   | key_ops | 4     | [+ (tstr/int)] |            | Restrict set of   |
   |         |       |                |            | permissible       |
   |         |       |                |            | operations        |
   |         |       |                |            |                   |
   | Base IV | 5     | bstr           |            | Base IV to be     |
   |         |       |                |            | xor-ed with       |
   |         |       |                |            | Partial IVs       |
   +---------+-------+----------------+------------+-------------------+

                          Table 3: Key Map Labels

Notes
-----
The value registry for kty should be COSE Key Types, as indicated in the text following Table 3. This change affects the IANA registry: https://www.iana.org/assignments/cose/cose.xhtml#key-common-parameters

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC8152 (draft-ietf-cose-msg-24)
--------------------------------------
Title               : CBOR Object Signing and Encryption (COSE)
Publication Date    : July 2017
Author(s)           : J. Schaad
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : CBOR Object Signing and Encryption
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Jim Schaad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 11:56:05 +0700

I believe that this is a correct errata and it should be approved.

I don't know if it really has any IANA considerations - I suspect that all of the IANA work is correct it is just pointing to the wrong registry.

Jim

> -----Original Message-----
> From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Monday, November 5, 2018 11:38 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; rfc-editor@rfc-
> editor.org
> Subject: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC8152 (5545)
> 
> The following errata report has been submitted for RFC8152, "CBOR Object
> Signing and Encryption (COSE)".
> 
> The value registry for kty should be COSE Key Types, as indicated in the text
> following Table 3. This change affects the IANA registry:
> https://www.iana.org/assignments/cose/cose.xhtml#key-common-
> parameters
> 
> Instructions:
> -------------
> This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please use
> "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or rejected. When a
> decision is reached, the verifying party can log in to change the status and
> edit the report, if necessary.
>