Subject: [Ietf-not43] Use Case/scenario

From: [email-masked] (Ted Hardie)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:09:37 -0700

Hi folks,
	Here's another crack at a usage scenario
for CRISP.  Comments to the list, please.
			thanks,
				Ted Hardie

Use Case: Large Number of domains spread across registries.

Description:

 An Organization has a large number of domains, distributed among
different ccTLDs and gTLDs.  The ccTLDs and gTLDs are administered by
different registry operators, and the registrations occurred through
several different registrars.  An internal systems group or outsourced
DNS service needs to verify domain data matches operational practice.
The organizaton may also need to check, maintain, or end public access
to contact data. An Organization may also wish to consolidate
registrations for a specific TLD through a single registrar.

Problem Statement:

 Maintaining consistent and correct information among the various
service providers requires mastery of a large number of inconsistent
interfaces.  Currently, this mastery can be achieved only through the
investment of significant resources on the part of the registrant;
this creates an equally significant barrier to change in cases where
the registrant wishes to change registrars or consolidate
registrations.

Possible Solutions:

1) The creation of a centralized administrative contact database with
globally unique identifiers and a single interfaces.  This solution
concentrates power and the risk of failure into a single organization,
raising serious concerns about privacy, jurisdiction, and the
stability of the system.

2) Standardize the interface in use by service providers and create
a system which allows for delegation and continuation references,
so that changeable data (such as contact telephone numbers) can
be maintained locally while global data (such as organization currently
administering a domain) is accessible through a known interface.