Subject: [Ietf-not43] ICANN WHOIS TF report

From: [email-masked] (Eric A. Hall)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 10:32:11 -0500

on 6/28/2002 1:31 PM Ted Hardie wrote:

> The current version of the Whois TF document does not yet seem to be at
> the DNSO website, but there is a link at:
>
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/nc-whois/Arc00/msg00462.html

Do we need to have a liason with the TF? They are recommending specific
implementation features which are at odds with our efforts, although the
final goals are compatible.

Specifically, they are recommending a monolithic free-form search system,
while we are pursuing a distributed model which uses keyed lookups. Our
model can support free-form searches if one or more catalog servers are
provided by licensed third-parties, which would suit their requirements
and would dovetail with their "market" solution. Note that catalog servers
can be made to comply with restrictions in order to gain bulk access to
per-registry repositories. Plus the use of catlog servers means that
access levels can be negotiated on a per-jurisdiction basis, such that a
registry in ~Sweden could provide the catalog engines with different
information than a registry in ~America.

So while the approaches are different, ours can work for their needs,
although I'm wondering if somebody needs to communicate this?

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Wesson)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 09:09:12 -0700 (PDT)

Eric,

I follow this group and the ICANN stuff. You assume too much, this wg just
started not finished.

-rick

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Eric A. Hall wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-not43 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://lists.verisignlabs.com/mailman/listinfo/ietf-not43
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Newton)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 17:40:51 -0400

Eric,

I went through the survey report and did not come to any conclusions 
that what they want is as you have described.  I think you are looking 
to hard at the details and need to elevate yourself a few thousand feet.

-andy

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric A. Hall)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 00:27:27 -0500

on 6/29/2002 11:09 AM Rick Wesson wrote:

> I follow this group and the ICANN stuff. You assume too much, this wg
> just started not finished.

What part did I assume wrongly? The charter says that we are pursuing
keyed lookups of distributed data.