Subject: [Ietf-not43] an IRIS over BEEP

From: [email-masked] (Hollenbeck, Scott)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:08:46 -0400

> 4. Looking at the EPP world, how many operators are using BEEP?  This
> may be an indication that operators/implementers think it is too
> complex.

I don't think anyone is using BEEP right now, but I may be wrong.  The early
discussions that went on in the provreg context focused mostly on two
things:

- the (perceived?) lack of mature BEEP software implementations, and

- operators have had a lot of experience with streaming over TCP, they
understand how it works, they have software that does it well, and they know
how to make it perform well.

I don't recall complexity being a significant issue.

-Scott-

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:19:51 +0200

> I don't think anyone is using BEEP right now, but I may be wrong.  The early

I have the same impression as Scott.
Basically as I understand things, Neulevel (.BIZ) tried to do so with
their XRP (which is basically EPP over BEEP over TLS), but went back
to pure EPP over TLS, at least for simplicity for now.

In November I spoke with their CTO I believe which explained to me
that internally they had a strong push forward by developers for
BEEP, and they still keep the idea for the long term. But to launch
quickly things forward they needed to start simpler.

> I don't recall complexity being a significant issue.

Not in the technical pure sense maybe, but on a broader sense
probably (for the arguments you list, not so many experiences right
now, and since EPP is also new...)

IIRC it took also a lot of time before seeing a draft about EPP over
BEEP. There was long discussions, but for a long time no draft. There
is now however.

Patrick.