Subject: [Ietf-not43] Domain Registrant

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Newton)
Date: 24 Jul 2002 10:40:52 -0400

As pointed out in Yokohama, the requirements document does not define a
domain registrant.  So are there any comments on adding the following
definition:

2.4.6 Domain Registrants
  Entities given authority over a domain via purchase, lease, or grant
from a domain registrar or domain registry are domain registrants. 
Domain registrants are considered a subset of both DNS Users (Section
2.4.5) and Intellectual Property Holders (Section 2.4.2).

-andy

---

From: [email-masked] (Jaap Akkerhuis)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:31:47 +0200

2.4.6 Domain Registrants
    
I'm not a lowyer, but from the first sentence of this definition
one might conclude conclude that when a registrar is involved, the
authority ver a domain is first passed to a regsitrar and then to
the domain name holder. As far as I know, this is not the case.

To offer some wording:

    2.4.6 Domain Registrants
    from a domain registry.  

The way how the registrants gets the authority is not important, although one
might to add: This authority is given either directly or via a registrar.

The second sentence is not needed.

	jaap

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Newton)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 21:40:56 -0700

>     Entities given authority over a domain via purchase, lease, or grant

How about?

2.4.6 Domain Registrant
   Entities given authority over a domain via purchase, lease, or grant 
from a domain registry, either directly or via the services of a domain 
registrar.

-andy

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Wesson)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:18:36 -0700 (PDT)

to me more accurate:

  Domain Registrant
    Entities given authority over a domain.

-rick

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Andrew Newton wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-not43 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://lists.verisignlabs.com/mailman/listinfo/ietf-not43
>

---

From: [email-masked] (Jaap Akkerhuis)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:04:41 +0200

How about?
    
    2.4.6 Domain Registrant
    
I'm not sure why you want to have the actual process of how to get
a domain in the definition, but this looks fine.

	jaap

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Newton)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:51:34 -0400

> a domain in the definition, but this looks fine.

To answer your question (though we seemed to have reached agreement), 
I'm trying to make it clear what we are talking about without getting 
too involved in a narative of the process.  Simply saying "control over 
a domain" and leaving it at that (to answer Rick's question) is to also 
include domain registries, which are given control over a TLD.  And that 
isn't what we are talking about.

-andy

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Wesson)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:57:19 -0700 (PDT)

> isn't what we are talking about.

and a registry is not given authority over a domain (tld) via grant? the
issue is confusing and maybe we should ask our selves whey we are
attempting to define this entity so that it fits within the context of a
registry/registrar relationship.

-rick