Subject: [Ietf-not43] [Fwd: CRISP: Language/script-specific data sets?]

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Newton)
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 16:52:10 -0500

I received the following comment off-list.  It sounds to me like a 
reasonable basis for a requirement.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: CRISP: Language/script-specific data sets?
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 13:12:56 +0100

Dear Andrew,

I'm contacting you since you are the author of the
crisp-requirements Internet-Draft.

I notice that this draft, while it does talk about
internationalization in relatively general terms, lacks what I
believe to be a key requirement for an internationally useful WHOIS
successor service.

In Asian countries (but not only there), there may be ways to
express the same physical contact data in scripts appropriate for
different kinds of users: For instance, you'll have "Hotel
Intercontinental, 777 Zhangyang Road, Shanghai" (don't expect the
local taxi driver to be able to read this), and you'll have a
Chinese name and address which I can't read (but the taxi driver
understands).  For CRISP, this means that there should be provisions
for some language- or script-based polymorphism -- like a more
advanced version of the "/EN" switch known from the .jp WHOIS
service.