Subject: [Ietf-not43] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hall-firs-svc-00.txt]

From: ehall at ehsco.com (Eric A. Hall)
Date: Fri Jul 25 17:12:15 2003

FYI, this is a service-discovery mechanism that I've been thinking about
for a while, that would be layered on top of a FIRS data-substrate. The
combination of rich data and ACLs (in addition to known-anonymous) solves
a bunch of scope-specific service-location needs.

     [...] "this model would allow a client to query for the
     service-specific data which was associated with a known user, but
     if that data was not available (either because it did not exist,
     or because the client did not have permission to read the entry),
     then the client could query for the service-specific data which
     was associated with the user's domain."

This isn't directly related to FIRS work, but its an example of what
becomes feasible with a rich substrate, and the kind of layered services
that would become available. The relevance of this will become clearer
when I finish assembling my argument case.

BTW, there are a couple of errors in the I-D that I should have caught
before it went out. No need to pay close attention to anything in here.

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

-------------- next part --------------
An embedded message was scrubbed...
From: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hall-firs-svc-00.txt
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:14:21 -0400
Size: 3632
Url: http://lists.verisignlabs.com/pipermail/ietf-not43/attachments/20030725/f75c2f6e/draft-hall-firs-svc-00-0001.eml