Subject: [Ietf-not43] extensibility

From: Michael.Dillon at radianz.com ([email-masked])
Date: Mon Jul 28 05:09:23 2003

>This isn't so true with IP address ranges.  A limitation of DNS gives 
>us essentially a choice of /16 and /24 sized zones, with the RFC 2137 
>process to help a bit in un-CIDRizing this, meaning that for an 
>arbitrary range, it's not so clear cut where to put the SRV-like 
>pointers.  (They may need to be replicated 127 times for a /17.) 
>That, and, because there's some question as to the value of the 
>reverse map, esp. in IPv6, there's no guarantee that there is even a 
>place to put the SRV-like things.

If we need a place within DNS to put SRV-like pointers for the IP address
allocation hierarchy, then we can make one. For instance we could
set up crisp.arpa and use it for this purpose. If you want to find the
FIRS server for 192.0.0.7 then look up the SRV record for
7.0.0.1.9.2.crisp.arpa. Or perhaps some other naming scheme. 
The fact is that the RIRs will have to implement FIRS servers in order
to root the allocation hierarchies so asking them to maintain and delegate
a new DNS zone is not too much to ask.

It could be done using a special version of DNS server software (nsd, 
djbdns, BIND)
that can generate synthetic DNS replies based on knowledge of the RIR's
database so that you don't have to generate huge zone files for every /32.
In fact, there is more than one LDAP-based DNS server where the DNS 
frontend
answers queries based on a zone database in an LDAP backend. 

--Michael Dillon