Subject: [Ietf-not43] Suggested improvements for IRIS

From: anewton at ecotroph.net (Andrew Newton)
Date: Thu Aug 28 21:06:49 2003

We have been upgrading our implementation of IRIS -03 (from -00) to help 
find the rough spots in the protocol and have found a few things that 
need tightening up.  I'll leave out the IDN relevant stuff as that was 
in yesterday's email.

Please comment if you have an opinion.

dreg:

1) Add elements in <registrationAuthority> object to hold a list of base 
domains.  This better aids the user in understanding the 
responsibilities of a registry/registrar.

core:

1) Create an attribute group to hold privacy attributes to satisfy the 
new privacy tagging requirement.

2) Add an <operatorName> to the <serviceIdentification> object.

3) Place the <bag> element in the search set before the <query> element. 
  This allows servers doing event driven parsing (such as SAX) the 
ability to evaluate the bag and take appropriate action before executing 
the query.

4) Place the <bags> element in the response as a peer to <resultSet> so 
that they may be normalized across all result sets, not just results in 
a particular result set.

5) Change the control/reaction interactions to be passed in/out with the 
queries and results.  The separate protocol interaction causes the 
server to keep state above the transport layer.  This also simplifies 
the code paths on the server.

beep:

1) Relax the TLS server authentication rules to be more like those found 
in RFC 2595.  This will allow the reuse of certificates purchased for 
other services.

-andy